Rest day on Elba - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2022

Rest day on Elba

Today is Al’s birthday and any activity is his choice. His choice: rest. It seems speeding up all those hills as he is wont to do is hard on the legs, especially if they haven’t done much between his last day of skate skiing in March sometime and taking on the hills of Tuscany on a loaded bike in May. There was some carrying of stuff up and down stairs as we moved in to our new place but it’s not the same!  I didn’t build many rest days into the tour because I rarely take them, though I did allow for alternate activities like day rides or hikes. I’m tired too, but I have a harder time turning off. I’m writing this in the shade on the beach below our hotel while Al naps in the room, trying to resist getting my proper shoes on and going for a long walk. 

We did stroll into Portoferraio proper this morning to check out the bike shop. I need a new water bottle because the drinking cap on one of mine is broken. I didn’t like any on offer (I’m fussy and though I can’t drink out of it, I can carry water to dump into  my remaining good one).  The trip wasn’t in vain, though. Al found one he liked and some sunglasses too.  At a different shop on the old port, I found what I really needed—a straw hat. It can be rolled up so I hope it will survive my pannier since I quite like it. 

The beach below our hotel, the Villa Ombrosa at left centre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Salita Napoleone leads up to one of Napoleon’s villas on Elba. (He had two, one in Portoferraio and one in the countryside.) Here we see a tour group, likely off the cruise ship that’s in port coming down and a class from the school just above heading up. This is not the busy season on Elba, thankfully.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch at the hotel since we didn’t see anywhere we really wanted to eat when we looked around yesterday. It was good and included one of the tastiest steaks I can remember.  They offer dinner too so we booked and gave our choices from the menu. We hadn’t done this for lunch; we just showed up and seemed to be the only guests eating there. There was another table occupied but it seemed to be the family that runs the hotel. 

So after writing that I went back to the room to get my shoes and my camera and walked up to a slightly further beach. Below are some results. 

The beach is pebbled, marble perhaps, with a lot of vegetation debris. One-Euro coin for scale.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spiaggia delle Ghaie, below our hotel, looking east toward Forte Falcone
Heart 4 Comment 0
Spiaggia della Padulella
Heart 5 Comment 0
On Spiaggia della Padulella
Heart 2 Comment 0
From Spiaggia della Padulella
Heart 1 Comment 0
I’m captivated by the colour of the water
Heart 3 Comment 0
These shrubs are everywhere and smell heavenly. But what are they?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltTook a lot of searching, but I think it may be pittosporum...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittosporum
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltHmm. I searched “pittosporum” and the first hit was an Italian version of Home Depot, followed by an Italian gardening site. Also known as mock orange, so the shrub I’ve seen in Canada that I thought might be mock orange isn’t. No gardener am I!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another flowering shrub unknown to me.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe jasmine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmine
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe jasmine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmine
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltI think so. I thought the first photo might be jasmine (smells like it?) but when I searched it, the photos of jasmine looked more like this. But the scent was faint—perhaps overwhelmed by ghd adjacent pittosporum.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Dinner in the hotel dining room was very good. They had a table ready with our room number; other tables had partial bottles of wine so hopefully what we couldn’t finish will be waiting for us tomorrow (sadly less than half).  The room was busy, a good sign.

First course: risottino alle cozze e Pecorino
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsThat looks DELICIOUS.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith AdamsIt was. I ate it all; Al didn’t get any.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Second course: filetto di orata alla Siciliana with patate Sabbiose and melanzane al fungetto
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsWhat I love about touring in Italy: Italian food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Every day! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dessert: tiramisu (and our bottle of Elba wine behind)
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsKeep the food porn pictures coming!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0