Rescribbling for 2022! - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

Rescribbling for 2022!

Things are opening up here in BC; we're in Step 3 of a 4-step restart plan.  We still can't freely travel anywhere for non-essential purposes but I'm really hoping that will have changed by next spring.  By May 1st, specifically, because that's when I've booked our outbound flight.

The route will be more or less as planned before, with one real change.  We will finish up with a couple of days in Venice.  Yes, it will be June, but better June than never.

Another change is that I've prebooked most of our accommodation and plan to have it all booked before we leave.  I suspect there will be quite a bit of pent-up demand...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Scott AndersonI’m so sorry for you all up there that you’re still locked down. Two years in a row! Other than ending in Venice are you still envisioning more or less the same route?

It sounds smart to me to be booking everything early, even though it will cramp your style a bit. We’ve taken a few looks at changing parts of our upcoming tour in Europe recently because of the flooding catastrophe, but the booking choices now are thin, expensive, and mostly second rate.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonNot exactly locked down. We have always been able to leave the country, but until next week, we had to quarantine for two weeks upon returning from outside of Canada (and travel health insurance wasn't necessarily available). As for travel within BC, it's open now except that every part of the province is at least one of: very hot, smoky, under wildfire alert, subject to evacuation order. If you wanted to go somewhere, you needed to have booked accommodation months ago. And if you were trying to take a ferry from the Vancouver area for the current long weekend, you are probably still stuck in traffic--unless you were on a bicycle.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsDratted covid. It contributed to the demise of the "organization" (is one couple an organization?) that put together the European tandem tours we'd enjoyed so much. After postponing their 2020 tour of Portugal, deferring it to 2021, then having to face kicking it further down the road, they've elected to pull the plug entirely.

Now the omicron variant (or as I call it, "omigod") has thrown a further wrench into the works. I hope your current plan can be carried out, without significant disruption, relay, rescheduling, or last-minute alteration.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith AdamsI just read your journal of your trip in Tuscany and it sounds like it was a fabulous time! Why not consider doing a self-planned trip with some tandem-riding friends? The Internet has made trip planning much easier than it was in the "old days".
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Jacquie GaudetMy wife isn't really a cyclist so much as a tourist willing to do a bit of cycling to get between hotels, provided someone else is carrying her luggage.

And I do not want the responsibility of selecting routes, intermediate stops, hotels, and so forth on behalf of other unsuspecting, innocent victims. :)

Our tours were not quite as deluxe as some truly commercial ones, but way more posh than a self-organized affair would likely be.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith AdamsMy husband and his riding buddies share responsibility and they seem to put together trips that tick their boxes. The only women invited are somebody’s sister who doesn’t ride but drives the support vehicle and her helper. She also prepares the lunches. The guys cover the costs of the driver and helper. I’m still envious almost 5 years on that my husband got to cycle in Italy (one of these trips) but I haven’t been able to yet. I’ll be very upset if 2022 doesn’t work out.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsTo Jacquie GaudetI don't see my wife being enthusiastic about being left behind while I go gallivanting off to Europe. But I also don't see her being interesting in SAG and cooking duty.

Good luck in getting there in 2022- I hope you make it and have a fabulous adventure. Times are so uncertain, though,,, Personally I'm not going anywhere that requires a passport until this whole thing has calmed down for at least a year. That may not happen in my lifetime.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago