Can Tho to Bên Tre - Indochina Pursuit - CycleBlaze

March 18, 2018

Can Tho to Bên Tre

The Mekong Delta is a maze

I left Can Tho by crossing the Can Tho Bridge. It's Vietnam's most expensive bridge. It's also their only bridge to cross the Bassac River, a distributory of the Mekong.

I continued on the major road for a dozen or so km. Then I saw some interesting smaller roads on Google Maps and decided to try to take a shortcut.

Once again there were many additional roads and bridges that are not on Google Maps, nor in OpenStreetMap. So I was spoilt for choice. I was on busy roads for only sort stretches.

View from the roof of my hotel. The Can Tho Bridge is sticking out on the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every plant in this plantation had it's own light bulb. To attract insects ??
Heart 1 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThese are dragonfruit plantations. We were on this route a year ago, it’s great but the roads we were on were under construction with a lot of stones. Glad you found better ones!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Nic RoetsThank you!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
I love the canals and the narrow little bridges. They filter out all the commercial traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bull crossed the Mekong with us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An even narrower bridge. The sign says "forestry. Canadian tea market. sponsor" lâm . thị trà ở Canada . tài trợ
Heart 1 Comment 0
These canals are quite narrow. So they proceeded to a junction with another canal before they could turn their boat around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boat on the Bên Tre River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 111 km (69 miles)
Total: 4,081 km (2,534 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0