Escorca to Sa calobra to Alcudia - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2022

Escorca to Sa calobra to Alcudia

Today was the big day we were going to tackle one of the "epic" and "must-do before you die" rides: Sa Calobra.  

Not quite up for the full, epic, 120km, we arranged for a taxi to take us 40km, which got us to the top of the first pass.  Despite analyzing the weather forecasts for the best day this week, it started raining on the drive but our spirits were un-dampened as we unloaded and started on the big ride.  The first 10km were a pleasant, gentle up and down on winding roads through forested hillsides.  A few cars passed as well a couple of tour buses that were frighteningly large and fast going by, and, of course, lots of cyclists.  Looking across and down to jagged rocky mountains, the scene was all the more atmospheric under low clouds and rainy skies. After riding under an old aquduct, we turned onto the road to Sa Calobra and, soaking wet from the rain, were glad to get to some serious climbing on the first set of switchbacks to help us warm up.  

Getting to the Coll del Reis (our highest pass on Mallorca) the first time was easy and what a sight greeted us on the other side: switchbacks disappearing down a steep mountain side that seemed to go on forever.  Elated, we dove in and flew down.  As well as regular photo pauses, we actually had to stop a few times to rest our hands that were cramping from holding the brakes.  For 13km we zigged and zagged until we were back at sea level.  The bay of Sa Calobra has beautiful, turquoise water and dramatic cliffs, but surprisingly to us, is also a tacky tourist trap full of not very athletic people who had come on tour buses.  Steven joined the throngs for the walk through tunnels to see the river valley and gorge, then we ate a pasta lunch as fuel for the big climb.  Yes, that delightful 13km down was now a long and slow, but perhaps even more beautiful, ride up -and we certainly had time to look at the scenery!  As the Fenwicks had told us a few days before, the climb wasn't actually as bad as we feared.  This is probably because it never gets very steep with a posted gradient of 6-7%, which is less exhausting than those 10% + hills.  The sky had finally cleared, but it still wasn't too hot as we plodded along for almost two hours to get back to the Coll del Reis, 682m.  The view was even better now that we had cycled down and up all those switchbacks.  

We had gone 42km and climbed over 1000m by the time we got back to where the taxi dropped us off, but we still had a long way to get home.  "We are only here once", we said as we chose the more scenic route, over the Coll de Femina to Pollenca.  Riding on adrenaline, the kms flew by as we traversed a wide, forested valley, then crossed the Femina pass at 515m.  Yet another long downhill for 10km into the outskirts of Pollenca, and a final 15km home to Alcudia.  

Steven re-energized with a swim in the sea, then after showers and a change of clothes, we were ready to tackle that buffet and wine list to celebrate an epic day!  80km and 1,345m of climbing -a new record for us!

Had to get a selfie in front of this sign!
Heart 7 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraWell done! Chapeau.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThank you, it was fun. Thinking we still may have a few more hills in us in the fall. Thanks for reading.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Deceptively gentle hills out of Escorca
Heart 5 Comment 0
Lush forest near Escorca.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Mind that bus!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
You gotta love the way Spanish highway engineers route the road under the ancient aquaduct rather than tear it down in the name of efficiency.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Being passed again as the road circles under itself.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Switchbacks for ever.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Switchbacks just below and far on the distance.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another impressive routing, this time through a natural split in the rock.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Almost there. Sa Calobra bay just below.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Lone Pine
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sightseers at the gorge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Still a long uphill to the pass.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back to Sa Calobra now in the sunshine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Up and over the bridge
Heart 5 Comment 0
A second time over the pass, but now in the sunshine.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Back at Escorca, looking towards the scenic route home
Heart 3 Comment 0
After this pass it should be all downhill.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cruising along empty roads going down to Pollenca.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 2,144 km (1,331 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
David MathersCongratulations πŸ‘ and welcome to the Sa Calobra club πŸ…πŸ…
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetWow! What a fantastic couple of days. It never really occurred to me that people went to Mallorca for reasons other than cycling. I guess it’s the kind of people I hang out with.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickVery nicely done. Congratulations on your new record, that is a big day. We also loved that ride - really who wouldn't? So glad that the weather cooperated for you too. Enjoy the rest of your stay on Mallorca.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThanks Scott, yes amazing ride! We dropped off our bikes at the storage unit here in Barcelona and we fly tomorrow. It's all over until the next time! Hope we will cross paths again. Enjoy your summer.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo David MathersThanks David, you had a great couple of days around Girona already. Looks like a wonderful place to cycle, enjoy. We will be following along on your trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago