Cap Formentor and back - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2022

Cap Formentor and back

Cap Formentor is on all the lists of "best rides in Mallorca" and its proximity was part of the reason why we chose to stay on this side of the island,  so there was never any doubt we were doing the ride.  After two days delayed by threats of rain,  we were ready to go and headed off right after breakfast.

We rode up the coast to Port Pollenca, first going through the town of Alcudia then along the beach.   Coming to the coast we could see windsurfers and kite boarders flying along the water.  I hope they were enjoying the strong onshore wind because it sure gave us a good workout pedalling.  The Port is nestled in below some very steep mountains and that's where the climbing started;  switchbacks along the steep, exposed, hillside taking us further up and with every turn a better view.   We were not alone.  Creueta Pass on the way to Formentor must be the most easily accessible viewpoint to the resort areas of Pollenca and Alcudia so we shared the road with a steady stream of the most frightening kind of drivers: tourists in rented cars, gawking at the views, taking photos out of moving car windows and not paying much attention to the fools on bicycles!

It didn't take long to get to the top where we admired the view while avoiding cars searching for a parking spot, backing out and turning around.  Mercifully, most cars did turn around at the pass (even though they wouldn't have to pedal back up) so the ride down the other side was much quieter and we could appreciate riding the rhythmic switchbacks downhill in the shade of the pine forest with occasional views of the cliffs down to the water.

At  the very bottom, more cars turned off at the road to the beach.  Maybe they were deterred by the sign advising the road ahead to the Cap was closed, but we veered around the barriers and headed on.  After the intensity of car traffic, this next section was blissfully calm riding on gentle slopes, through open, sandy pine groves, with only the sound of bells on goats.  Coming out of the forest, we could see the hills out to the end of the cape and, as we climbed yet again, better views down to the coves below.  We had been told the road to the end was closed for construction near the tunnel, so when we saw the opening, unobstructed, we hoped for the best, however soon after going through we came to another roadblock, this one enforced by a security guard who would not let anyone, even the walkers, go around the fence. Although we hadn't made it all the way to the lighthouse, we had come to a stunningly beautiful place so we stopped, drank water, ate our banana and figs, and tried a few different places to sit and admire the view.  

The way back was equally delightful and we were ever more convinced that the Mallorca rides are truly (...search for a new superlative adjective) phenomenal.  Back at the Coll de Creueta, most of the drivers had already gone so we took some photos at the sign and then slowly coasted all the way back down to Pollenca.  To cap off a fabulous ride, we stopped at the elegant, Tolos cafe, a cyclist's favourite, for well-deserved refreshments with a delicious and healthy snack of veggies and hummus, all with a view of the beach.  Another amazing ride for the record books!

A fun wind for kite boarders. Note the guy in the middle getting huge air.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Starting the climb. Only 3.5km, not so daunting.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back to Port Pollenca from the first climb.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Steven modelling his new, souvenir of Mallorca bike jersey.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Janice BranhamThat is sharp. I love the orange. So many of the riders we're seeing in Mallorca wear black or dark colored jerseys. I prefer loud and proud. We looked around several of the Port de Pollenca bike shops for a souvenir jersey, no luck. We'll have time to look some more in Palma tomorrow. Where did Steve get his?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyAt a Pinarello bike shop along the strip in Alcudia. Steve looked on Google maps and it shows a place called Huerzeler in the right area, but that was not the shop. Probably it is no longer open. He thinks that it had the look of a place that was clearing the shelves to close. Sorry we aren’t more help.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
First views over the Coll
Heart 9 Comment 0
The road hugs the cliff top.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Approaching the tunnel through to the Cap
Heart 6 Comment 0
Amazing views
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kelly MaherSoaking it all in ! So beautiful 🤗
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
Blissfully quiet roads back at this end of the cape.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back at the pass.
Heart 8 Comment 0
And, finally, back down to Port Pollenca.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,064 km (1,282 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
David MathersWell done you two! Nice summary of your day and some great pictures too. Very nice new jersey Steve. Glad you’re enjoying your time on Mallorca.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rob WearyWhat a perfect ride to cap off Mallorca!! Wish I could share those switchbacks and cliffsides with you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rob WearyThanks Rob for reading it. Yes you would love it here. Next time?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonGreat photos! I sure look forward to going to Mallorca and to doing this ride.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago