Tarago to Bungonia: Beyond 'The Morass' to other attractions - House to House Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2011

Tarago to Bungonia: Beyond 'The Morass' to other attractions

Day 2 Monday 23 May House to House cycle-tour From Tarago to Bungonia Conservation Reserve

Riding by 7:45 a.m. departing Tarago to the east then north east following signs to Bungonia which is about 43km from Tarago, of which 30km is on unsealed road. Loose gravel and rough corrugations were thankfully easily handled by the bike. Travelled along an area with the think-twice-before-going-there name of 'The Morass'. This was an appropriate name also for today's weather which featured wild looking clouds, periods of very strong winds and short, light, blustery rain showers. The route passed through a fairly remote area. I took an unintended side-road detour of about 5km before finding Lumley Road which led to the Oallen Ford Road intersection and into the small settlement of Bungonia. There are no services in Bungonia ; as sunset was imminent, I decided to take a a 9 km side-trip along the 'Lookdown Road' into the nature reserve and to what is a very well set-up NSW national park campground. The road from Bungonia hamlet to the campground is sign-posted and sealed. It appeared that I was the only camper. A whole nature reserve to myself. I set up the tent, prepared a quick meal, texted a message home and did some writing. As it was complete darkness by 5:30 p.m. I was glad that I stopped when I did. A walkaround revealed that the campground has an excellent communal kitchen hall which was a good refuge from the continuing strong winds. There were also good, hot showers. Very wintry conditions outdoors. The CatEye gadget says a total of 56km; average 12.6km/hr; 4hrs 24mins riding. Max.speed 49.5km/hr. The body is holding up reasonably well with the exception of painful but still serviceable knees. I suspect that they are no longer covered by a Warranty Agreement.

Farewell view of Tarago. Looking back as I head out of the village toward Bungonia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much of today's road looked like this from a wheel's perspective. It was about now that I appreciated having wider tyres and the truck-like attitude of the Thorn Sherpa bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside view of "The Morass" and an isolated farm house. The bleakness and isolation has a certain appeal. This is only a day and a bit cycle ride from the busy national capital of Australia but it felt like the middle of nowhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An 1800's family cemetery in a starkly isolated field. Between Tarago and Bungonia along the Lumley Road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch stop on the road to Bungonia. There were quite a few protected creek-side woodlands similar to this along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A splendid, remnant eucalypt tree on the Lumley Road not far from the junction with Oallen Ford Road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wedgetail eagle soaring above me on The Lookdown Road toward day's end. The Lookdown Road is good 8km side-track from Bungonia hamlet into the Bungonia Nature Reserve which has an excellent camping area. The nearest shops are about 20km from here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The home-away-from-home. Mont Moondance-1 tent and Exped Synmat UL 7 S. Superbly comfortable and wonderfully lightweight and small packed volume.Note the abandoned campground. Was it something I said? Or has everyone else heard a weather report I missed?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 132 km (82 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0