Canberra to Tarago: Wisps of mist and a loaded dog - House to House Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2011

Canberra to Tarago: Wisps of mist and a loaded dog

Day 1 Sunday 22 May House to House cycle-tour From Canberra to Tarago via Bungendore

I was rolling by 6:30a.m. and reached the rural edge of Canberra within 30 minutes through a slightly foggy sunrise. The yawn-inciting early start is prompted by a weather forecast of a wet, cold change coming through in the early afternoon.

It was steady climb away from Canberra on the Federal Highway's bike lane with good views back to the fog filled valley and across to the distant mountain ranges. I exited the safe but noisy Federal Highway by a right turn on to the quiet Bungendore Rd and pedaled by hobby farms, grassy woodlands and vineyards. It was easy to maintain a steady pace until an ear-flattening, eye-watering, steep descent from the range into Bungendore 45km from Canberra. There are ample cafes, galleries, small shops in this busy village. I had a chance meeting with a former neighbour, and chat with the antique store owner.

Early lunch of tasty pasta then pushed on another 32km through the gently undulating countryside to tiny Tarago. Noticed a number of 'Stock Reserve' grassy woodlands en-route. Looked like good camping spots. But not for me this trip. Arrived in Tarago about 2:45p.m. and booked into The Loaded Dog pub. Remember the weather forecast? The hotelier offered secure bike storage in an enclosed beer garden.

The CatEye gadget says a total of 76.3km; average 13.2km/hr; 5hr45mins riding. Max.speed 58.4km/hr.

Body check? Feeling OK for a first day of loaded riding with the exception of some knee twinges. Not surprising as I realise that they (the knees) together (jointly?) have accumulated a sum total of 108 years of service.

The loaded Thorn Sherpa (I'm starting to think it should really be called 'The Truck') ran really well. It is remarkably stable and reassuringly balanced; especially on speeding, downhill runs. It just stays put regardless of the load weight and road conditions with minimal rider effort required. Nice. A rain-squall, strong winds and cold front arrived about 4:30 pm. Pleased I'm under a roof and not in the tent. Phoned home. Tasty dinner at the pub. Early night. Noisy downpours and wintry wind blasts during the night.

Within an easy 30 minutes of Parliament House, Canberra's rural edge is reached.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fuel prices as I exit Canberra by bicycle on 22 May 2011. Will anyone hazard a guess what they will be in May 2016?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Federal Highway bike lane is a generous width on the Canberra to Sydney exit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back to the Canberra valley as I head out of Canberra along the Federal Highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
A touch of mist on the Federal Highway hill crest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hello New South Wales
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some say that telecommunications companies have been barking up the wrong tree in their service to rural Australia. This handset was for trunk calls only. It is a step up from tin can telephones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural view from the road to Bungendore
Heart 0 Comment 0
Corrugated iron farm shed beside the Bungendore Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
The postman knocks a few times on these country lanes between Bungendore and Canberra
Heart 0 Comment 0
The well dressed horse is a clue to night temperatures at these elevations. About 700 metres above sea level.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good vineyards are temptingly well placed along these backroads
Heart 0 Comment 0
From this viewpoint, I am about to roll rapidly to the floor of this rift valley in which Bungendore sits. Time to test the brakes. The elevation falls 151 metres in 2.6 km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bungendore street scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bungendore. Plenty of cafes, galleries and other small shops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bungendore bike of the pre-Ortlieb era
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are lots of these along the Bungendore to Tarago road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View to the north west from Tarago Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road-side to Tarago from Bungendore alternates between pasture and woodland
Heart 0 Comment 0
My excellent accommodation during a stormy night in Tarago. 'The Load Dog Hotel'. Good food, warm fires and secure lock-up for the bike. Tarago knew busier times in decades past when the nearby Woodlawn Mine was operating. Hence such a big pub for a small village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 1:100 000 scale topographic maps I used on the first three days of the House-to-House ride
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 76 km (47 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0