Bungonia to Bundanoon: From wilderness to scones and cream - House to House Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2011

Bungonia to Bundanoon: From wilderness to scones and cream

Day 3 Tuesday 24 May House to House cycle-tour From Bungonia Conservation Reserve to Bundanoon via Marulan

From Wilderness to Scones and Cream

Moving by 7:45 a.m. It would have been great to stay a day or two at Bungonia Nature Reserve campgound and to do a few of the walks into the ravine and along the creeks. Not this trip though. Plenty of wildlife - wallabies, kookaburras, coughs, wrens and roos - in the camp vicinity. And yes...I was the only person on the entire site. Kitchen, hot showers, soft tent site, bush solitude..sheer luxury for a $7 camp fee.

After a 9 km backtrack to Bungonia hamlet, it was then on to the almost car-free Jerrara Road for an enjoyable 18km toward Marulan and the Hume Highway. The big Hume Highway. The road that links Australia's two biggest cities Sydney and Melbourne. What a cacophony compared to the peaceful and scenic backroads I have been on for the last two days. Although the Hume (hwy 31) appeared daunting and is exceedingly noisy, the shoulder lane is very wide, smooth and it is only a very short ride...approx. 1 km... along it from Marulan until the turnoff toward to the genteel southern highland villages.

From the Southern Highlands Way turnoff (just out of Marulan) it was back to pleasant, almost car-free road to Bundanoon via Wingello and Penrose. I learned later that there is indeed a completely car-free route, a cycleable trail, from Penrose through to Bundanoon. I am told that it is along mid-1800's road route, the Argyle trail, which was only suitable for single-track riding but has been restored to a condition adequate for loaded bikes.

I called a halt at about 3 p.m. Camping at the Morton National Park entrance campground or at the Bundanoon Youth Hostel are just two of many Bundanoon accommodation choices. Storm clouds were abundant. I found the hostel, locked the bike and then walked around Bundanoon to find scones & cream at Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe Cafe. It's that sort of town. A base for mountain-biking, kayaking, bushwalking or for just a quiet few days in the attractive village adjacent to the Moreton National Park. I phoned home, bought ingredients for dinner and returned to the hostel.

The Bundanoon Youth Hostel was an excellent place to stay with just three other guests. Once again, a good night to be indoors with heavy rain falling throughout the evening.

The CatEye gadget says a total of 64.4 km; average 13.3 km/hr; 4hrs 48 mins riding. Max.speed 43.7 km/hr. I have now covered well over half the distance from Parliament House to the Opera House and, except for protesting knees which are slowing the pace, I am feeling fine. My initial pre-tour uncertainty as to whether I'd be able to make the distance has waned. Bundanoon is located on the main southern railway line so I have the choice of taking a train from here. I'll continue to ride and should be able to reach the coast tomorrow.

OK...where am I again? Jerrara Road is the one I headed along having started the morning at the Bungonia Conservation Area where I camped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nature asserting itself. This mushroom-like fungi has pushed through the sealed, tar and gravel Jerrara Road. Tough way to make a living.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A termite mound beside Jerrara Road. A common sight throughout the area. Don't do this with a wooden bike:)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned farmhouse on Jerrara Road near Marulan
Heart 0 Comment 0
A short sprint along the big, busy, noisy Hume Highway was needed to reach Marulan and the turnoff beyond to the Southern Highlands. Thankfully the shoulder lane is very wide making it feel very safe despite the roar of traffic. I kept my speed well below 110 km/hr.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Faded glory. The former Royal Hotel in Marulan. For Sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I've turned off the Hume Highway and it's a pleasant change of scenery on the the Southern Highlands Way Tourist Drive 16. Bundanoon is 32 km from here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Southern Highlands roadside field
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sieving device for oversize vehicles and tall cyclists. It helps keep the traffic to a very civilised level on the road to Bundanoon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside map of roads between Bungonia and Wingello fringing the vast Morton National Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wombat tunnel by the roadside. No...they don't wear bike helmets. It's there for scale. These tunnels are big.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes...it's autumn...a roadside pause near Bundanoon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Southern Highlands field near Wingello
Heart 0 Comment 0
This camera-equipped helicopter hovered for an extended time over the area attracting the interest of locals.
I don't think my fluoro Ground Effect rainjacket was the target, but it came awfully close for a good look.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stoush with Coca Cola over an attempt to bore local water resulted in this successful campaign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bundanoon is on the boundary of The Morton National Park. Forest and rugged landscapes stretch to the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home for the night. The excellent Bundanoon Youth Hostel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sulfur-crested cockatoos clear the tracks of spilled grain
Heart 0 Comment 0
King Parrot in a Bundanoon privet tree
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Bundanoon
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bundanoon Cafe Bike Shop wall mural
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 196 km (122 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0