Bundanoon to Kiama via Jamberoo: Wild winds and a Big drop - House to House Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2011

Bundanoon to Kiama via Jamberoo: Wild winds and a Big drop

Day 4 Wednesday 25 May House to House cycle-tour From Bundanoon to Kiama via Robertson and Jamberoo

Big descent, Wild winds

There were very dramatic changes in landscapes today from the verdant fields and rolling hills of the Southern Highlands to wild seas crashing into the cliffs near Kiama. The winds here on the coast are gale strength so I have called it quits for today and booked into the not so grand Grand Hotel in central Kiama. Although it is a bit tatty, it is friendly, quiet and recommended by the Kiama harbour fish and chip shop owner as the weather was worsening. Tenting in these wild conditions would be for purists with a heavy-duty tent and a myriad of guy-ropes attached to anvils.

It was a memorable ride today starting with an easy roll from Bundanoon mostly by backroads through to Robertson perched on the edge of a high escarpment which runs parallel to the coast. The famous Robertson Pie Shop (elevation 760 metres above sea level) is where a cycle tourer looks at the T-junction and has to decide whether to drop to sea level by the Macquarie Pass (shorter but more traffic) or the Jamberoo Pass (longer with far less traffic). Jamberoo Road was my choice thanks to advice from CGOAB posts and also seeing signage banning heavy vehicles from this road.

The very steep Jamberoo Road gradients, and the arrival of strong winds and horizontal rain showers certainly focussed my riding attention during the early afternoon. It was an exciting if somewhat hazardous descent on a narrow, twisting, slippery road. Gusts were pushing the 120+ kg of loaded bike to and fro with alarming ease while gravity pulled it toward Jamberoo at speed. Even in the very wet, windy and steep conditions the bike was comfortably stable. Well done Thorn Sherpa and Schwalbe tyres for today's achievement of staying upright and on a road where it would have been easy to slide over the edge.

The evening news later revealed that wind was gusting today stronger than 90 km/ hr. Something about an intense low pressure system offshore.

Even though the wind and the wet were distractions, passing through the rainforest and the many different types of vegetation was a buzz.

The CatEye gadget says a total of 74 km; average 15 km/hr; 4hrs 54 mins riding. Max.speed 54 km/hr.

I am starting to feel as if I might actually be able to make it to the Sydney Opera House. From here in Kiama the route tomorrow will head directly north along the coast to Wollongong and beyond to Sydney over the next two or three days. I'm hoping that most of tomorrow's ride will be on a bike-way. I phoned home then settle in to watch the State of Origin. Can the Blues do it?

Roadside view between Bundanoon and Robertson
Heart 0 Comment 0
While trying a pie or two here, one can ponder which road to take down, down to the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's gotta be better than the other road with the trucks!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was...forest, streams and other pleasant scenes are abundant along Jamberoo Road. Cars were scarce and no big vehicles went by as I sped toward the valley floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rugged rock outcrops along the Jamberoo Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'll be down there at the bottom in a few minutes. Jamberoo village is hidden in the mist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steep, slippery and scenic Jamberoo Pass Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
I reached the bottom of the Jamberoo Valley soaked and wind blown and this rainbow just appeared so close. A brilliant reminder of why I cycle-tour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stormy day on the Kiama coast
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pelican at Kiama keeps an eye on the cyclist with fish and chips
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 270 km (168 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0