Day 13, Eureka to Ely: Day of Many Summits - Searching For a Heart Attack on the Western Express - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2017

Day 13, Eureka to Ely: Day of Many Summits

NOTE; You can leave a comment or question for us by using the “Comment” feature located near the bottom of the page. We enjoy getting these and will respond as soon as we have internet service (some places we stay don’t have it or the wifi is just too weak to be useable). Thanks!

Eureka, NV to Ely, NV
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mileage Today; 79    Total So Far; 588   Remaining; 1,088

Climbing Today; 4,629    Total So Far; 33,790   Remaining; 62,344

Max Grade Today; 7.8%   Average Uphill Grade; 2.3%

Average Speed While Riding; 8.7 mph (approximate)

Mechanical Issues; None

Photos Credit; Bud, unless noted otherwise

Bud speaking:

I rolled away from Eureka at 4:30am in total darkness, and immediately began the uphill climb towards the summit of Pinto Pass. Today was going to involve 4 climbs (well, OK, maybe only 3 ½ since the second one was only a small climb – see the profile), so I may as well start out climbing. Reaching the summit, it was too dark to set up the tripod and take the glory photo with my DSLR, as you can tell from the flash photo below.

Pinto Summit in the Early Morn Darkness
Heart 0 Comment 0

So I made a poor attempt with the cell phone, which apparently was nothing to smile about.

Pinto Summit Selfie
Heart 0 Comment 0

As I rolled down into the next valley, dawn was coming.

Dawn is Coming
Heart 0 Comment 0

The English crew that I had met yesterday (Graham, with support crew of Daryl and Simon) approached me from behind and stopped for a quick chat. Daryl and Simon were up front in the van, and I assumed that Graham was riding somewhere behind me, but they told me that Graham was actually sitting in the back of the van and that he had done extra mileage yesterday and they were transporting him to the spot where he finished and would commence today. So that's the last that I'll see of them since Graham is riding much faster than I am. Best of luck fellows, I do hope you have an enjoyable time here.

The English Crew Support Van
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sunrise found me in a long  valley. These valleys are much further apart than they seem to the naked eye, and it sometimes takes a couple of hours to travel from one end to the other.

Sunrise And The Long Valley Ahead
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a bit of labor I reach the summit of Pancake Pass, and thought to myself how very much I would enjoy some pancakes right now. There was a weather station on top of the pass, and that seems to be a common occurrence in these parts.

Weather Stations Are Common Atop the Passes
Heart 0 Comment 0
I Could Sure Use An Order of Pancakes Right Now
Heart 0 Comment 0

The vastness of the terrain out here is awe-inspiring, to say the least. It can take me hours to cross these valleys.

Another Long Basin to Cross
Heart 0 Comment 0

The mountains in this side of Nevada appeared to look more like real mountains to me, and the scenery was becoming even more beautiful.

The Route Today Feels Like Real Mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountain Scenery
Heart 0 Comment 0

I saw a sign that indicated major deer crossing. I wonder if the deer are aware that they're supposed to cross it this location, and I thought that perhaps there were some rebellious deer that refused to cross there. Strange thoughts like this tend to go through one's head as you labor away for hours during the day.

Do The Deer Know They Are Supposed to Cross Up Ahead?
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a bit more labor I eventually reach the summit of little Antelope pass. Here's the glory photo to prove it. That was my third Summit for the day, and that's usually quite enough, but today's travel requires one more.

Little Antelope Summit
Heart 0 Comment 0

As I headed down from Little Antelope pass, I saw this sign and wondered if it was mandatory for me to do it.

Yikes - Do I Have To Do That?
Heart 0 Comment 0

I had been surprised yesterday to meet another cycle tourist when I met Vince. So I was doubly surprised today as I rolled along and encountered Jim.  Jim called out my name as I approached, and I knew that Graham must have met him and informed him that I would be coming. Word-of-mouth is how news traveled in the Old Pony Express days, and it’s still working that way today.

Jim, West-Bound To His Home in San Francisco
Heart 0 Comment 0

Jim is riding across the country to bring awareness to climate change. He has a great blog going at druther-bike.com, including a picture of his encounter with me today. We both have bikes built around the Surly Long Haul Trucker frame so that gave us even more to talk about. Here's a photo of me taken by Jim:

Buddy (photo credit; Jim Kelsey)
Heart 0 Comment 0

After I left Jim, I realized that all I had to do was make the descent down into the next valley, then ride across this huge expanse of a valley, then climb the mountains on the other side, and then descend to my lodging for the night. That's all, simple child's play. Yeah, right; legs don’t fail me now.

All I have Left is to Cross That Valley, and Climb Those Mountains, and Descend The Other Side - Is That All?
Heart 0 Comment 0

It really wasn't child's play, actually it required a lot of serious adult work, and on the way up to the summit I met Zach and Andre. They're riding for an organization that Zach has co-founded called bikefrogusa.com. I don't fully understand its purpose, but it seems to be related to the bicycling community and folks that inhabit it.

Zach and Andre
Heart 0 Comment 0

They told me they had someone else riding with them and that I would eventually encounter Kristiana. We parted and I continued my uphill labors and eventually reached the summit of Robison Pass. Storm clouds had been closing in on me as I labored up the hill, so I was anxious to take the glory photo and roll on. What you can't see in the photo is how tired I am at this point; 4 summits today was quite enough, thank you.

Today Was A Day Of Many Summits
Heart 0 Comment 0

As I was starting to pedal off, Kristiana appeared having just crested the summit from the other direction.

Christiana, West-Bound With Zach and Andre
Heart 0 Comment 0

We chatted a bit, and I learned that she had joined up with Zach and Andre (and others I think) in Chicago. They had traveled down Route 66 into Missouri, then took the Katy Trail westward, and were working their way west. I was the first other bike tourist they had encountered; they had expected to encounter others, but since they weren’t following one of the known bike routes, and since it was now well into the hot season, it was understandable.

We chatted a bit, and then the rain commenced falling so we both hurried off in our respective directions. The rain appeared to be just a mountain shower, so I wasn't worried about donning my rain jacket because these things are usually over with quickly. However, this one seem to stay with me as I was descending from the pass, and it even intensified and eventually became very heavy. I was getting thoroughly soaked, but I was moving downhill and didn't want to stop. The rain was thick and cold and I thought it may turn to hail but it didn't. I was grateful for my fenders because the water was flowing across the road and my tires would have been throwing it up onto me and into the drivetrain.

Eventually the rain did stop, and when I encountered dry pavement it was warm and welcome. As I rolled along I started drying out, and the heat from the pavement felt good because I had become chilled from the cold rain. Entering Ely, I found my way to the Ramada Inn, which unfortunately is also a casino.

The View Entering Ely
Heart 0 Comment 0

It seems as though most of the chain hotels in Nevada are casinos. Fortunately, my room was across the street from the main building, in a building they referred to as the annex. The annex had rooms that were accessible from the street and I was able to simply roll my bike directly into my room.

The Ramada Inn did not have a guest laundry, and when I inquired they directed me to a public laundry that was several miles away. I didn't want to have to travel that far by bike to do my laundry, so I called the small hotel that was located directly across the street. They had a guest laundry and were kind enough to allow me to use it. By the time I got my laundry done, it was getting late and I was very tired. I had dinner at the Ramada Inn restaurant which has a restaurant that specializes in Italian food, and the price was reasonable (most casino restaurants are quite reasonably priced so they can attract folks for dinner and hope they spend money in the casino). Good night all, I get a day off tomorrow...

Today's ride: 79 miles (127 km)
Total: 586 miles (943 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kelly IniguezI don't suppose you noticed the movie theatre in Ely? It's an old opera house. My mother owned that until her passing in 2019.

Side note - a woman here in Rifle told me that they lived in Ely during the early part of their marriage, until their kids were old enough to question all of the brothels in town and ask about them. She said that there were more brothels than churches. I don't know if that's fact or not . . .
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George HallTo Kelly IniguezKelly - is that the Central theater? Apparently I would have ridden very close to it as I entered town - what a small world it is! That was a long hard day with a lot of climbing for me and I really just remember the town in general, mostly I was just happy to reach the hotel. And while they might be there, I didn’t notice the brothels either!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo George HallYes, the Central Theatre. Owning any old building is a labor of love. There was always something to repair there. Mother was happy when they upgraded from coal (delivered down the old fashioned coal shoot and shovel into the old furnace), to coal oil! Natural gas was not a choice in town.

Google just told me that in the 80's there were 35 brothels in town. In 2018, there were 21. Is Ely THAT large? I've never been there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago