Day 9: Frissel Crossing to Kaihanie Camp - The Grumbys’ (Ron and Jen) Pre-tour Shakedown Ride - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2017

Day 9: Frissel Crossing to Kaihanie Camp

I bravely pushed through the briers and brambles to scout out today's route, in a very manly way I should add. But then Jen reminded me we were traveling by bicycle, not canoe.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Frissel was a nice camp, pretty quiet with only one other group and a few deer. The deer were delicious. 

We slept until 8, ate breakfast and started riding at about 10:00. 

Slacker miles today! Although we did climb 1100 feet in about 3.5 miles, which is  97% grade. Wait, fuzzy math there... let me check again... ok it comes to about 5.9%.  Not shabby, and the steep climb reinforced the need for calories. We craved milkshakes and pizza. It reminded me of cravings I have had while backpacking.  

We stopped along the way and hiked a short trail into a meadow, where we spread some more dog and cat ashes. The beauty and solitude of this area is astounding. I think we saw 3 cars all day and arrived at camp at about 1:30.

The Kiahanie Campground backs up to the North Fork of the Willamette, and our site had a nice little private beach to rinse ourselves and clothes. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
I seem to be straddling the line between sanity and insanity
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We spread some pet ashes in this nice meadow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Aufderheide was devoid of cars and offered great views and riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The campground on our very short day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our back yard at Kiahanie Campground.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 miles (27 km)
Total: 146 miles (235 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0