Day 10- Kiahanie Campground to Evan Oakes Campground - The Grumbys’ (Ron and Jen) Pre-tour Shakedown Ride - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2018

Day 10- Kiahanie Campground to Evan Oakes Campground

A covered bridge in Westfir- I am the one with the dorky right pant leg rolled up
Heart 1 Comment 0

The night at Kiahanie was quiet, with the river providing white noise for sleeping. We ate our usual- porridge (oatmeal) for first breakfast and got moving early, 7:30 or so.

 The last section of the Auferheide was beautiful, which sounds weird as I type this because it was all amazing. I am surprised how many people I have spoken to that have not heard of this road, but I guess lack of people is one of the reasons we liked it so much. So, on second thought, never mind. Stay the hell off of the Aufderheide. You'll hate it. There are rabid weasels and giant tarantulas*. 

After exiting the Aufderheide, we rode 23 peaceful miles to Oakridge, stopping to snap photos at another covered bridge in Westfir. We had second breakfast at Cedar Creek BBQ in Oakridge- excellent- did some grocery shopping at Rays, saw a ganga farmer and headed east on North Shore boulevard. The initial route was to be highway 58 into Eugene but a guy on a bike told us to use the North Shore for better scenery and almost no traffic. the prospect of scenery and lack of traffic tipped it. 

As advertised, North Shore road, which is listed as W. Boundary Rd on Google Maps, was mostly packed gravel mixed with pavement, and only two cars all day. It follows the Lookout Point Lake reservoir and the views were spectacular. We could see highway 58 and hear the constant hum of cars and trucks from our quiet wooded road and were happy with the decision. 

We rolled into Ivan Oakes camp and were met by the George the Camp Host. He was so impressed by our trip, and probably my brave route-planning duties that he brought us a huge chunk of delicious watermelon.  An older hippie couple (even older than me!) set up at the site next to ours and offered to let us use their kayak. We were appreciative but declined due to fatigue and laziness (me). Another camper stopped by and talked to us for ahwile. He here with his family and lived in one of the small towns nearby. Most people we have met are friendly and helpful. 

*This statement may or may not be true. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second breakfast!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A ganja farmer in Oakridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lookout Point Lake
Heart 2 Comment 0
North Shore Road was nice gravel, low traffic and incredible views along the reservoir
Heart 4 Comment 0
My LHT is awesome. So is Mrs. Grumby's
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Weird tall shadow people
Heart 2 Comment 0
We did a little hike near the campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
I bravely scouted our route for tomorrow. I wear my manly orange Waldies on account of they make route-scouting more efficient. And manly.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 194 miles (312 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0