Day 8: Blue River to Frissell Crossing Camp - The Grumbys’ (Ron and Jen) Pre-tour Shakedown Ride - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2017

Day 8: Blue River to Frissell Crossing Camp

The Aufderheide

We left Harbick's bright and early (10 am) and rode towards NF19, which is also called Aufderheide Drive. If you live in Oregon, you've probably seen Grant McComie's segment of Grants Getaways on KGW. 

The ride was spectacular. There were about 5 cars all day, and the scenery was great. 

We stopped at Terwilliger Hot Springs and walked the 1/4 mile up to the four river stone pools. The sign said clothing was optional, but we kept our skivvies on. However the dozen or so men up at the pools were very comfortable letting it all hang out. 

The trail and the pools are beautiful. We didn't take photos for obvious reasons so you'll have to take my word for it. The booth attendant was a 22 year Navy veteran and was wounded badly in Afghanistan, so he was very happy to be working part time in this amazingly beautiful place. We also meet Jaimie, an elementary school teacher from the bay area on a summer road trip. 

We got to our camp at Frissell Crossing at about 1:30. There was only one other group camping. We spread some ashes of our two dogs and cat (Macy, Sydney and Camille), took a nap and had a delicious dinner of lentils, sausage and potatoes. No traffic, hot springs, scenery and quiet campground in the river made for a perfect day. 

We've heard about the Aufderheide for years and now we get to ride on it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was taken at Cougar Reservoir.This photo was our Xmas card this year.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Terwilliger Hot Springs is a few miles south of Blue River road on NF19 (Aufderheide). It was $6 a person, and seeing naked old men was included in the price.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Jamie from California at the Springs. She was on a 3 week road trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mrs. G working her biceps on an old style pump at one of the campgrounds along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The South Fork of the McKenzie
Heart 2 Comment 0
Aufderheide traffic jam.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At our campsite.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 129 miles (208 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0