Day 97 Salem to Adolphustown, Ontario - Grampies on the Go Summer 2011 - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2011

Day 97 Salem to Adolphustown, Ontario

Strangely, since we are in southern Ontario, in principle the centre of Canada, we are running into some limitations that we would have predicted more for the mountains or the prairies. For example, more often than not there is a lack of cell signal that we can use for internet connection. Also, we seem to camp and then realize that we have no source of food for supper. This happened last night, so this morning we were quite eager to find a cafe.

We did a small detour to get to a cafe at Gosport - South of Brighton, only to find it was taken up by a Rotary meeting. Some judicious begging seured us a table in a far corner, and we got to listen to the inspirational speech.

From Gosport it was not long before we were on the Loyalist Parkway - a mostly country road with a paved shoulder. Now we were cruising through Prince Edward County, which is a large island, just before the eastern end of the lake. It is lovely, with farms, heritage houses, and quaint towns.

Early on we encountered our first farm market of the day. They had fresh home made donuts. This is a specialty that was to pop up at other places along the route, joining (but not displacing) butter tarts. Cinnamon buns as a specialty, however, are long gone.

Just east of Wellington we came upon a garage sale in progress. Since before I found Algy the Duck, Dodie has wanted to have a turtle as a touring companion. A garage sale is the right place to look, so we stopped. The garage sale was being held by Saskia, Tessa, and Erika as a fund raiser linked to an upcoming cycling fundraiser in aid of cancer research. The cycle will be from Toronto at the CN Tower to Niagara. We picked up something for Amelia and made a small donation. No turtle, however, was there for Dodie.

Just in passing I inquired whether there might anyway be a mouse, since the one purchased for the netbook at Best Buy in Washington had packed it in. It was a shame, since that mouse, although wired, was very compact with the cord being retractable.

Saskia disappeared into the house and came back with .. a mouse. Not just any mouse, but the same size and design as my broken one. Is this just a fluke, or does fate think we did something right recently?

Just down the road, a yellow painted bike stood in the middle of a field. Another strange sign from heaven? or are Ontario farmers going into raising yellow bikes?

Everyone says a stop at the bike shop in Bloomfield (just down the road from Wellington) is a must, and this turned out to be true. Scattered around the complex site was a mixture of high end/rare items, normal stuff, artistic stuff, and weird stuff. What shone through it all was a clear love of cycle and cycling. It was a fun though brief visit, since we were eager to make it to the next campsite before it got too late.

We arrived in Picton, which turned out to be much larger than expected, with a very long commercial street. This gave a chance to search out some milkshake, and we landed at Scooperman. Scooperman featured an action hero theme, and in general seemed like a swell place. To be fair, the milkshake was good, but have a look at the photo. What's next, milkshake in a shot glass?

Even with this teeny amount of fuel, we motored over to Glenora, where the ferry hops off the island. Shortly after that we arrived at the United Empire Loyalist Park and Campsite. Again, it is a lovely site by the water, but all you get for $31 is the chance to put your tent on a patch of grass, and feed quarters into a box - if you get in to the one shower provided for the hundreds of people.

Still, we have arricved at the state of grace in which our tent is up, our pouch of quarters is empty, and we are ready to turn in and listen to one of the Big Bang Theory episodes, all of which we know by heart!

Breakfast came with a Rotary meeting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes, our bums agree!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Loyalist Parkway - our "Way" for the next two days
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were tempted to head for Ameliasburg in our quest for Amelia, but quickly realized this would be a wrong move!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Country farm market in Consecon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Freshly made donuts replace butter tarts to some extent here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers at the farm market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Emms Restaurant and farm market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enough of all these trails?
Heart 0 Comment 0
....but we do like the Parkway!
Heart 0 Comment 0
What is this all about?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some fully kitted out cyclists headed west. Neither they nor us stopped to chat but we deduced they were from Quebec, mainly from their accent on saying "what?" as I called out "from where to where?"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunflowers!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Weird large house had tractors on a stick.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also a giant lion
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen a number of these old barns with neat stone foundations
Heart 0 Comment 0
What are these guys thinking?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town of Wellington
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie likes the trim of this house in Wellington
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saskia, Tessa, and Enka were doing a garage sale just east of Wellington
Heart 0 Comment 0
..in support of this cancer ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not fooled by this one either. Hah!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The strange bike in the field
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice barn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses in Bloomfield
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Bloomfield house. The town is full of places like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bloomfield again
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bloomfield bike co.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Recumbents
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tandems
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another recumbent
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sculpture at the entrance, plus interesting sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike man
Heart 0 Comment 0
An older style tandem
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unique backyard
Heart 0 Comment 0
Side door
Heart 0 Comment 0
Counter top
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers and crops
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of our favourite signs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Busy Picton
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scooperman talks a good game
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and seems pretty friendly
Heart 0 Comment 0
...but is this $4.50 worth of milkshake?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another ferry ride for the bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
The M.V. Glenora, far from "Glenora" near our home!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 5,924 km (3,679 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0