Day 96 Port Hope to Salem, Ontario: The Sin of Avarice - Grampies on the Go Summer 2011 - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2011

Day 96 Port Hope to Salem, Ontario: The Sin of Avarice

Larry at the Penstow prepared a truly gourmet breakfast, served in the elegant dining room. Included were hot muffins and french toast made from a croissant, with cream cheese and strawberries! Only thing, it was served at the civilised hour of 9 a.m., meaning that we had been chafing at the bit for two hours.

Betty Ann then drove us back to the display home at the edge of town, where we had abandoned the bikes. They were fine, and Algy got to sit in the sun while Dodie rearranged our stuff. Then we were off, back through town.

City Hall and one church in Port Hope
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lt Col Williams won the battle of Batoche and put down the Northwest Rebellion of Louis Riel. Jerk!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rest of the sunny but not too hot day was a continuous stream of beautiful lake views, fruits at farm markets (not to be confused, unfortunately, with Farmers' Markets), and car free or mostly car free enjoyable cycling.

Field and the Lake make a good colour combo. Maybe I should Photoshop out the power lines?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are welcome!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look Laurie! (Laurie loves blueberries)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look, look, Laurie. Wild
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yummy too!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These books were on sale at the farm market. Houses in this area really do catch your attention.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes! It is!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view, near the bridge above
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh man,it is gorgeous here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nearby lovely part of the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even though there is lots to look at here, a line painting machine still seems to warrant a photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another field of dreams
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lakeshore Road near Lakeport
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farm house and crop
Heart 0 Comment 0
A trail sign lead us to a dead end at the lake - it does that too often! What do you think this barge is up to, by the way?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love these welcoming signs
Heart 0 Comment 0
And we love official "trails"
Heart 0 Comment 0
More great fruit. They also had what should be the last of the season strawberries. They looked so sweet and ripe, but we could neither carry nor eat them on the spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Because of the late start, actually a teeny bit of foot dragging through the beautiful places, plus the inability to develop a speed and rhythm as the "trail" wended its way through subdivisions, along the lakeshore road, into rabbit holes, etc. we only reached Salem, a mere 50 km from where we started.

The Salem Woods trailer park is not half bad, with a pool and showers (a little grotty) and a large quiet spot for our tent, with lots of picnic tables. However we were mega ticked with the owner who both professed to be fresh out of registration forms and who charged us double, on the pretext that we were two people in the tent! Still, we found a half bag of firewood (which naturally is also charged for) and we charged our computer from an outlet nearby. By rights the lady should bill me 2 cents for the power. I bet she would if she could!

Salem Woods trailer park. It was nice, and quiet, but the lady ripped us off by charging double because we were two people in the tent!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 5,834 km (3,623 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0