Day 58 Winnipeg, Manitoba - Grampies on the Go Summer 2011 - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2011

Day 58 Winnipeg, Manitoba

Before leaving Selkirk and the north of Winnipeg generally, we had one last crack at finding some authentic food, like non deep fried perogies. We scored, at Bill and Paddy's favourite restaurant, Roxi's.

Bill and Paddy's place, our sanctuary in Selkirk
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Roxi's in Selkirk
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bill and Paddy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Real perogies at last
Heart 0 Comment 0
Real Quebec style french fries too
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dropped back in Winnipeg, we hugged the Phelan's goodbye and entered Gooch's to pick up our bikes. We were a little surprised to find the mechanic still frantically adjusting them, but we had time to wait so no problem. More surprising, though, was the bill. The total was $439.82! The labour for the two overhauls was $250, which we knew about in advance. Parts were to be extra, but we had envisioned maybe up to $50 for maybe ball bearings and a new chain or two. It turned out that basically every part that got adjusted or greased was eligible to be replaced, for a total of $189 of parts like new cables and housings, front axle set, chain, bottom bracket cartridge, etc. etc. Given that most of this stuff was brand new 8 weeks ago, it seemed a bit much. What do you think? Normal maintenance or rip off?

Adam (of Goochs) and Dodie make final adjustments
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goochs' bill
Heart 0 Comment 0

We presented ourselves back at Mark's place, where apparently we will be turfing him on to the sofa for one more night. Mark took us down to St. Boniface, which is the francophone quarter of Winnipeg. We visited the grave of Louis Riel, viewed as the founder of Manitoba and executed by the then Canadians for treason. The grave yard on the grounds of the St. Boniface cathedral (just the preserved facade remains) contained many many headstones of French pioneers.

Louis Riel's grave marker
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many French pioneer graves are here in the cathedral yard
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie and Mark and "Daisy"
Heart 0 Comment 0
The St. Boniface cathedral restored facade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical French architecture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mark and Sophie
Heart 0 Comment 0

We joined Alissa (upstairs neighbour) and her two drop dead gorgeous daughters Sophie and Malaika at the "BDI" or Bridge Drive In. The BDI serves only soft ice cream confections and is just by a pedestrian bridge over the Red River.

The bikes are loaded in Mark's garage and ready to leave town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mark helps get the bikes ready.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Fort Garry hotel. This was our first home in Winnipeg, almost forty years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bridge over the Red River at the BDI
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mark and Sophie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Malaika
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the other side of the bridge is a quiet neighbourhood, ideal for walking with your ice cream. The BDI had a constant stream of customers, even on this quite cool evening.

So we are pretty much ready to head for Minnesota tomorrow. Our stay here has brought some pretty important improvements in our situation: I now have a MEC thermos for coffee on board! Dodie's shoulder is much improved. And we have two new rear red lights, one "Blinky" and one "UFO Light". Those truckers better watch out now!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0