Day 122 Montreal, Quebec: Return to the Mother Ship - Grampies on the Go Summer 2011 - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2011

Day 122 Montreal, Quebec: Return to the Mother Ship

Cyclists we have met or corresponded with from outside of North America often have not heard of REI (Recreational Equipment Incorporated) or MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop), but they soon do. That's because in the US and Canada respectively these two are the "mother ship" as far as self propelled adventuring goes.

MEC was founded in Vancouver in 1971 while REI dates to 1938. MEC is huge by Canadian standards, but with only about fourteen stores it is dwarfed by REI, with about one hundred and ten. Although a certain amount of our stuff came from other sources, we always look to these two as the gold standard for where to get stuff and advice. We also love their no questions asked returns policies.

With this background, it is natural that we sought out the MEC branch in Montreal, if only to look at their versions of failed or inferior equipment that we got from others. The only real item on our shopping list was a bike computer, to help fill the gap left by the three (yes, three) that failed us over the past four months.

The Mothership
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside MEC
Heart 0 Comment 0

We fought our way in the car from MEC in the north of the island to Atwater Market in the south. In this region there were no apparent bike paths, and even the car had problems with the heavy traffic. However we did arrive at the Montreal market that is best for meats and flowers. Fruits and veggies and bakery is still there too, of course.

The tower of Atwater Market. Everything is better when there is a tower or steeple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amelia is not too interested right now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fatal attraction to Premier Moisson
Heart 0 Comment 0
Premiere Moisson
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about this cake?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Designer blueberry creation
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sausages at Atwater Market
Heart 0 Comment 0
At home on the farm we "frenched" lamb like this too. But here french is really French!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amelia now takes an interest in the Market
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Grampie will be sad to cycle out of here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If most people could live near a fruit and vegetable source like this, overweight would surely not be such a problem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amelia looks cool in her MEC shades!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0