Decize: Through lovely rural country - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2016

Decize: Through lovely rural country

We have just undergone a screening test for dementia and I am happy to say that I think we have passed. The evidence is that our washing seems to be going around and around in the machine and there appears to be soap powder in the water. We are in Decize in a laundry attached to a big supermarket with just a few spare cycling clothes on so soon once again we will be nice to be near.

Leaving Boubon Lancy we were on a cycle route that took us up into the hills above the Loire, it was on tiny roads with virtually no traffic. The countryside was extremely neat, the few old houses along the way meticulously kept most with wells and lovely gardens many with an abundance of flowers. Edging the road were hedgerows and entwining these were blackberry bushes. These were dripping with now ripe luscious fruit. It hasn't been uncommon to see these being gathered as we pass along and today was no different. In such country naturally you expect hills but after our experiences a few days ago they seemed minor. Cronat when we came to it was a neat little 1 fleurie town and boasted that it had a Proxi, we would be able to get bread and cheese. But we are in France and it is Monday so naturally it was firmly shut. We were saved however by the bar, there was a charming young woman there who not only brought us a huge cafe creme but made us a sandwich to take along for lunch.

After leaving Cronat we were unable to find the hill route we wanted so it was down the hill to the river, across it and then we followed the D15 all the way to Decize. This in fact actually follows the canal but you don't see it at all as the canal is screened by trees and considerably higher than the road. At one stage we did see a boat going by, it looked decidedly weird going along way above us between the trees. The road lead us straight to the Port de Decise where our hotel is, we checked in, dropped the bikes and took off for the charming old town which was of course asleep at this time of day.

I have to report however we have passed yet another screening test and our washing now clean is going around and around in the dryer.

Productive gardens along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fine country house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cronat church
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Proud of his flowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I have a silver Picasso, they seem to be the most common vehicle in France
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clean again
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this couple from Chili as we left the laundry they are on a 6 weeks tour of France starting and finishing in Lyon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 1,214 km (754 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0