Bourbon Lancy: Easy and not so hot - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2016

Bourbon Lancy: Easy and not so hot

Spinning along the canal in the early morning is as near to paradise as you can get. There is a light mist over the water, the only noise is the slight whine of your tyres, the odd fisherman is sitting as if meditating,none of the boats show any sign of life and every now and again one of those elegant statues that turn out to be herons lazily takes off and flies a few feet just far enough to be out of the way . We are the only life on the canal until about 8am then slowly it begins to wake up. Some people are having breakfast on their after deck. Then along come the wobbliest cyclists I have ever seen, I fear they will go into the canal. They are fellow Kiwis from Henderson a walking group who have hired a boat for two weeks (yes John I think of the instructions you say Locaboat give!) - this is a wonderful adventure for them. On learning we come from Pokeno they say we are so lucky to be able to get such good bacon. Yes Helen you are famous and I always feel so proud to say you are my friend.

We come to a sign indicating a bar just off the canal. Madam seems very suprised when I order Deux grande cafe creme rather than the beer she assumes we want at 9.30 in the morning. Later we have a lovely meeting with Pierre and Marie, they are from Grenoble on their annual cycle trip, this year a big circle on the Burgandy Canals starting and finishing in Digion. We ride with them for a while but they are faster than us (me). They are camping and can't understand why we are in hotels - they tell us it would be much cheaper even if we were to buy our gear when we got to France.

Bourbon Lancy when we get to it is rather a strange place. It is a thermal spar and resort, the sort of place Ken has a strange bias against. I rather like it. Our hotel is an Ibis Styles attached to a big casino which will mean I suppose we will have to show our passports to get in to have a meal. I had made rather a blue as regards our booking - I had made it twice! Great discussion followed including a phone call to booking.com where both the somewhat unpleasant madam and I spoke to a charming gentleman. After admitting that I am old, stupid and probably shouldn't be let out without a minder the good news is I only have to pay for one room. 4 other groups of touring cyclists have arrived- all with appropriate bookings and Ken has settled down to watch the Belgium Grand Prix with only the odd snore disrupting the commentary.

Early morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old technology
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This poor dead fish shows that there are at least some fish in the canal though you never see them being caught
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped next to this for coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken was impressed by he size of this tobacco tin owned by a young woman
Heart 0 Comment 0
A peach stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A well decorated flower bed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,169 km (726 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0