Day 31 - Day Ride From Rocamadour to Gouffre de Padirac - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2023

Day 31 - Day Ride From Rocamadour to Gouffre de Padirac

Almost the Griswolds

We owe this day to fellow CB’er Jacquie Gaudet. On her May 2019 French Fling trip, after leaving Rocamadour, she and her husband Al stopped off at this funny sounding place, Gouffre de Padirac. Her pictures and descriptions of the place were ‘super cool’, and ideal fit for our trip moto ‘That’s cool”, so we planned a nice short figure eight loop ride to see this site.

As mentioned in yesterday’s write up, when we planned this several months ago, and right up until the last 48 hours, we were completely unaware that today, a Thursday, was a national holiday. Jacquie made no mention of booking tickets in advance, nor of there being large crowds. From my reading of her write up it almost seemed like they were just riding past and decided to stop in. Anyway, when it dawned on us that this was a national holiday, and that we knew we were going to this place, we figured we should try to pre book tickets. 

The first clue that this was going to be a busy place was that the first tickets we could get were at 11:45 and there were only 22 left for that time. We secured these, and then promptly forgot about them and got on with the rest of our activities for that day.

Fast forward to today. We reconfirmed when our booking was and then decided we could have a bit of a lazy morning and then a nice leisurely ride out. The ride itself was wonderful. We left Rocamadour around 9:45, and the place was still relatively quiet but we could see that starting to change fast. The climb out of the steep river canyon was pretty quick and easy on an unloaded bike and then we were cruising on our beloved deserted D roads for the nice one hour ride to Padirac.

When we got the village of Padirac, which is about a km away from the chasm/caves, things started to change. We were now on a larger D road (with painted lines and hence more traffic), there were several campgrounds around (all full) and most of them had large ‘fun park’ playgrounds or mini golf set ups, and the crowds of people were starting to build. 

Then we saw the parking and other facilities for Gouffre de Padirac …. And the line of people stretched out to get it. Our first response was horror! What have we got ourselves into? We slowly ventured into the throng of people and saw t it was being managed by the ‘park’ staff quite well, and that the lines of people were organized by the ‘15 minute’ time window associated with your booking. One of the helpful staff showed us where the bike parking was and gave us the general run of how things worked.

With that in hand and about 40 minutes until our allotted time, we got ourselves organized for the ‘tour’ and joined our assigned queue. To be honest, we were considering bailing on this venture as we’ve become accustomed to having no crowds around, but we figured that all of these people were here for a reason …. And it finally hit us that there were this many people because it was Accession day and the start of effectively a 5 day long weekend …. And we were in an area of France that is one of the most popular places to visit, so we decided to suck it up and keep going.

Short finale, to this long build up. This place is amazing and if you get the chance you should visit it (try on a weekday in early May, when there isn’t a national holiday, like Jacquie did, but even if you pull a classic Griswold family move like we did, hey we did buy tickets before hand though, it is still worth it).

There were a lot of people, and at times it was crowded, but the overall crowd management was excellent, and we didn’t feel pressured to keep moving. The guidelines say you’ll spend about 1 1/2 hours in the caves, we spent 2.

You first decent about 60 meters down into a very large sink hole that lined with ferns and dripping water … cool! You then proceed further down into a cave opening …. Very cool, and it keeps getting better. A few ‘boardwalks’ and additional stairs and you are now by an underground stream … Even cooler, and then you get on these 10 person boats that ferry you deeper into into the caves and some larger caverns. Much lager. Now this is getting really , really cool. After about a 500 m board ride, you get off and then go into a really large cavern system.

Mindblowing!

Pic’s to follow to show what words can’t adequately describe. I have some of the exact pictures that Jacquie does (but hers are much better) as there are certain highlight features, but even though I had seen her pictures before, and after looking at what I took (and they are very good), they only capture a tiny amount of what the entire experience was / is. This is a place that definitely has to been seen live and in person.

Kirsten had not seen Jacquie write up of her day, nor did she do any research on this place. She went in blind, and in the parking lot was having the same thoughts I was …. Is this really worth it. Her reaction to seeing it was the same as mine. Far more than amazing!

Have a look at some of the pics that follow, and try to remember you are only getting a very small insight of the whole experience from these pictures.

Our ride back to Rocamadour was equally good as our ride out was … until we actually hit the town. We thought Padirac was crowded! This was wall to wall people and vehicles, with no potential of an amazing natural wonder to take in … what a mass of people wandering in an old cool village setting buying souvenirs, eating gelato and drinking beers and Aperol. 

Aaahgggg!

We made a booking for dinner at the very nice Hotel Bellevue that was at the top of the ridge in the l’Hospitalet section of Rocamadour … once again a rare moment of thinking ahead for us … and had a very good dinner away from most of the throngs. Over dinner we discussed again how this trip is having much more of a ‘natural world’ flavour to it, and how much we are appreciating that (even the very controlled Gouffre de Padirac experience is still all about the natural world … a concealed ‘in the earth gorge’). That put a cap on a pretty unique and wonderful day.

As a side note, if anyone is planning on staying at Rocamadour, we’d recommend staying up on the ridge in the l’Hospitalet area (but still come into the town the way we did from the south). It’s far less crowded and there is a better choice of hotels there, the views of the chapels and castles are great, and it’s a short walk ‘down’ to see them.

Heart 0 Comment 0

SOTD - Into the Mystic by Van Morrison

..and together we will flow into the mystic’ … it might sound trite, but that’s how we felt as the small boats floated us towards the grand hall and into a magical, mystic other world. No other words to describe it.

The daily depart pic … unloaded!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another day of cruising on our own D roads. This has been the norm for the entire trip so far
Heart 4 Comment 0
The first part of the Gouffre de Paridac, the sink hole. Pretty cool, this would have been interesting in it’s own right.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Karin KaarsooThat looks like quite the climb back up!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karin KaarsooWe cheated and took the elevator up. Lyle’s knee was bugging him or at least that is the story we are sticking too.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Deepening into the cave system. This is getting more interesting
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now we’re getting the stream and it;s crystal clear mineral ladden waters. This is getting better.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Now this is getting really cool.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Really really cool!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The colours and the scale are not really captured by these pics
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking up … well over 60 meters to the top at this point
Heart 3 Comment 0
And now onto the boats for a float down the river. No pics allowed while on the boats …. And what we thought would be a cool little float was actually a trip into another amazing world …
Heart 2 Comment 0
Huge toothy fish jaws? Like cloud watching, the crystallized rock formations were forever shape shifting and astounding.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then into the grand hall … two lakes, over 100 m tall, unreal stalactites and stalagmites. This is a cool pic but it just scratches the surface of what the reality is.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooVery cool!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A close up this layered stalagmite coming out of ‘lake superior’
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking past Lake Superior back toward the entrance to the grand hall
Heart 1 Comment 0
Speechless and slack jawed!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Climbing up in the grand hall and now looking down on ‘lake superior’ … words can’’t come close to describing this
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nature’s pipe organ!
Heart 1 Comment 0
So beautiful … organic evolution of these structures over n=many millennia
Heart 3 Comment 0
Out of words … just take it in
Heart 3 Comment 0
This flower feature is about 6 m across to get an idea of scale
Heart 2 Comment 0
… and yet it appears so delicate!
Heart 3 Comment 0
One final look at the sink hole where it all started … this was an amazing experience … well worth the crowds.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And now back for our ride home on different but still deserted D roads
Heart 1 Comment 0
Through some very pretty small villages
Heart 3 Comment 0
Roses everywhere
Heart 3 Comment 0
And finally in Rocamadour on a holiday long weekend !!!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great dinner at le Bellevue … thankfully we had made a booking!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooLucky indeed!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Asparagus season! Great entrée
Heart 2 Comment 0

F

K’s wonderful catch of the day .. light fresh herb based sauce … very springlike flavours
Heart 2 Comment 0
My honey mousse with orange, pine nut and caramel ice cream
Heart 2 Comment 0
The walk back, calm has returned
Heart 4 Comment 0
That’s all folks. Another great day.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 1,342 km (833 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Suzanne GibsonWow, really cool cool cool!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Suzanne GibsonIt really was. If you haven’t been it should be on the must do list.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonHow amazing!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Judith HaneburySo enjoying your blog! Peter and I visited the Gouffre from Romcamadour, luckily at a time in May that was not a holiday - though it seems like every weekend is a holiday that month. Your pics brought it all back. You are right, it has to be seen to be believed. We rolled up and simply went in - no line up - and at the end I wanted to do it all again it was so surreal. Since he has claustrophobia a repeat didn't happen. So glad you didn't bail and got to see it.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jacquie GaudetI want to go back! Just catching up on your journal now, weeks after you've posted.

FWIW, I subscribe to a public holiday calendar for my destination region when I'm planning a trip. We still got caught by Liberation Day in Sicily, though, as there were so many entries on the calendar for that day that we didn't see it.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Jacquie GaudetWould you please send us the link for the public holiday calendar. It sounds like it could be very useful. Thanks
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jacquie GaudetI use an iPhone and a MacBook; here's the link to the one I subscribe to for France: https://www.calendarlabs.com/ical-calendar/ics/45/France_Holidays.ics

Alternatively, go to calendarlabs.com-->country holidays-->choose your country-->add to calendar and choose the version that suits.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago