Day 30 - Saint Cirq Lapopie to Rocamadour - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2023

Day 30 - Saint Cirq Lapopie to Rocamadour

Via Capdenac and a Little Help From SNCF

The revised plan that was set in motion two dayes ago in Figeac had its final day today, and the consensus was that it was a resounding success. 

We woke up to another glorious day of blue sky scattered with a few cotton ball clouds. The temperature was in the mid teens, allowing us to have our smashing breakfast on the patio with a view of the Lot valley spreading out to the east. Breakfast was early too (for France) and we were packed up and on the bikes by 8:30.

Why the early start? Well, we had train to catch in Capnedac in a few hours and we didn’t want to miss it. The final phase of our revised plan was to ride east up the Lot ~50 km to Capnedac and then catch the regional train to Gramat, leaving us a final ~15 km ride to Rocamadour. 

Our original plan would have called for us to ride up the Celé back towards Figeac, and then climb out of the Celé valley and head basically north to Rocamadour, resulting in a ~90 km day. 

The opening to this day started with me describing how wonderful the day was starting, and it was a perfect day for cycling … as long as you weren’t travelling north. Today, just like the last few days, had a stiff 30 ish km/kr wind blowing from the north, and 90 km of riding into this would have been no fun.

What we did do, a 50 km east ride into Capnadec, followed by a 35 minute 10 euro train (both of us, with bikes) to Gramat, followed by a 15 km essentially flat ride to Rocamadour, with the last few km’s into the wind, but downhill, was  … well glorious. Beautiful easy pedalling up yet another spectacular river gorge to Capdenac and then more deserted minor D roads through forest and pastures west of Gramat … with no headwinds!

We arrived in Rocamadour  just before 2 pm feeling fresh and with lots of time to explore this remarkable place.

Thanks Susan for recommending taking the same route into Rocamador that you and TA did last October. It is a remarkable sight to start to drop off into the l’Alzou valley and then see the Castle, Cathedrals and medieval village (all two streets of it!) dropping down the cliffs on the opposite bank.

Rocamadour is one of the most visited places  in France, and it’s easy to see why. The setting is spectacular and it has a long history as a religious pilgrimage site. There is a downside to all of this though …. And that is that it is one of the most visited places in France.

Thanks to all the other CB folks whose tire tracks we are following, we knew that this is a popular place and we had the foresight to book a place here many weeks ago. Good thing we did, as even in Mid May Rocamadour was essentially ‘complete’ … as the sign in the window of our modest but nice hotel said.

I’m writing this up the day after we arrived, and now have the benefit of knowing that the next day (i.e the day that I’m writing this) is Ascension day, a national holiday in France, and since it fell on a Thursday, most working people (and schools) also take Friday … and the following Monday off. 

So, we arrived just at the start of a 5 day extra long weekend…. In one of the most popular spots in France.

August in May!

It wasn’t that bad, and there was no traffic on the roads we cycled on, but it was crowded compared to anywhere we’ve been so far. That’s not a complaint per se, more of an appreciation of how great we’ve had it so far on this trip.

OK, I’ve beat this horse to death. We walked up and down Rocamadour (this place is laid out vertically!), saw the chapels, The Black Virgin, and just took in the truly remarkable setting, while keeping the carvival atmosphere of the crowded two street ‘medieval age but 21st century mass tourist village’ in context.

Both K and I were discussing today as we were riding how this Europe trip for us has been so different, and refreshing. Previous tours have been focused on cities, historical infrastructure and other ‘human generated’ things, while this tour has had much more of a natural environment focus. Gorges, rivers, causses, mountains, with human influences woven into them, but not dominating.

This is a bit of foreshadowing of what tomorrow holds, quite a contrast to how this day concluded.

So, a great day of biking and another amazing setting to end the day …. Slightly marred with having to share it with a few thousand other people!

The straight line from Capdenac to Gramat is a train. This part of the trip does not appear in the recorded distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0

SOTD - Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Michell. Pretty direct reference to the parking lots that surround Rocamador … many of which were full today!

Fantastic breakfast at Maison Lapopie . A truly fantastic stay over the last two nights
Heart 4 Comment 0
And the official start of the day pic … look at that sunshine!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading east into the rising sun and leaving this remarkably beautiful village (and uncrowded …. Today)
Heart 2 Comment 0
And a rare one of me on the bike!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fifty km’s of this as we made our way east up the Lot to Capnadec
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saint Cirq Lapopie isn’t the only spectacularly located village around here. Calvignac looks pretty nice too!
Heart 2 Comment 0
More spectacular riding along the Lot
Heart 3 Comment 0
I spent a couple of summers doing this growing up … always love to see a freshly tilled field
Heart 3 Comment 0
Not many pics during the ride this morning … we had a train to catch. Rolled into the station 5 minutes before the train arrived! We left Capdenac at 12:04 and 32 minutes later were in Gramat! Roll on roll off trains and platforms and lots of room for the loaded bikes! perfect way to avoid headwinds!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonVery smart choice using the train for part of your journey! It’s good it’s so easy to do.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
15 km’s of riding like this heading west from Gramat. Sweet!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just starting to descend into the l’Azoul valley. No drama yet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This looks cool! What’s that peeking around the corner on the opposite bank?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looks like another small village like we’ve seen in the other gorges
Heart 5 Comment 0
…. But maybe this one’s a little different…
Heart 6 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis really is the best way to approach Rocamadour on a bike. Quiet, and so astonishing seeing the town slowly emerge around the bend.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Scott AndersonYou are right Scott. It was perfect and fun to see as it slowly presented itself.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Make that ‘quite a bit different’ !
Heart 4 Comment 0
Stunning location on a picture perfect day
Heart 2 Comment 0
The three layers … the two street medieval village on the bottom with the churches stacked on them, topped off by the castles of the knights and nobility
Heart 5 Comment 0
Get into the fray though and it has the same elements as other popular tourist places
Heart 1 Comment 0
Up we go to the Cathedrals
Heart 2 Comment 0
Amazing setting and buildings
Heart 3 Comment 0
as always, some of the most intriguing things are small and go largely unnoticed - k’s pic and spotting of this interesting fading fresco
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re a long way from the sea but there were many boats and nautical motif’s in the chapels.
Heart 1 Comment 0
and the big draw for pilgrims over centuries …. The Black Virgin. I know this is important for many people and I realize that my comments are a bit flippant, but this is one of the big ‘draws’ for Rocamadour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I’m always drawn to pipe organs and this one is quite unique … nautical theme again.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We managed to stumble into a tour into this locked, limited entry chapel that had original fresco’s
Heart 5 Comment 0
The road leading north to the upper section of Rocamadour l’Hospitalet
Heart 3 Comment 0
and a look back from a different aspect
Heart 3 Comment 0
One last look from the top. On the opposite bank you can see the road we came in on.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The more humble Chapel of St Jean Baptiste in l’hospitalet area
Heart 1 Comment 0
And now we head back to the main village
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
another great day on the bikes and finishing in another fascinating place in France.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,305 km (810 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0