The Grand Plan - Gorging Ourselves in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

The Grand Plan

More Planning Than We've Ever Done

Since 2019, for a variety of global and personal reasons, our touring has been limited to a few (very) short local tours and one short copy-cat tour in Austria.  However we have followed many other Cycle Blazers over this time as they've toured through amazing parts of the world. For us this was a mixture of vicarious pleasure and envy.

Now our time has come. Tomorrow we jet off to Paris where will spend a few days acclimatizing, having a CBMU (you’ll have to figure out that acronym for yourself) and probably visiting more than a few pâtisseries, before we start cycling south at Annecy.

Our planned route is shown below (and a shout out to Keith Spangler for explaining to me how to make one of these multi-leg Event Maps).  As with all plans though, this one has already met its first revision. Despite the excellent advice we got from Susan Carpenter regarding getting trains out of Paris, with bikes,  to points beyond ... in our case Geneva, we were unable to book both ourselves and our bikes  to Geneva on the 21st of April. We could get to Lyon and then on to Annecy however, so that's what we're doing. Our 'Original Plan' Day 1 Geneva to Annecy ride is now on the cutting room floor.

We arrive in Paris on 18th April . We'll spend a few days there and then catch a train to Geneva where we will start cycling on 22nd April. We will finish near Barcelona in the last week of June and fly home on 28th June from there. In between we'll have ~3100 km of riding with ~45 km of elevation gain :0 !!! We'll have to see how that goes! You can click on the tabs at the bottom of the map to see each leg in more detail. 
Heart 7 Comment 7
Patrick ParnoThat's a lotta hills. I am liking leg 3 the best.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gilles RobertDu coup, bon courage!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI look forward to following your tour! I loved Annecy and would love to go back and spend more time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodTo Rachael AndersonHey Rachael, remember you’re not following us, we’re following you (almost literally)! Looks like you’re having another wonderful trip in Pulgia. I’ve heard you will be passing through Canmore this summer, if and when you do we’ll have to get together.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodTo Patrick ParnoOh Yeah. But we’re finishing at sea level so it’s net downhill!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetLooks fantastic! I think starting in Annecy is a better plan anyway. Geneva is crazy expensive for Canadians (and we liked the ambience of Annecy better too).
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Lyle McLeodWe would love that!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

For anyone following along, we like to get comments as we meander down the road. To be able to comment, you have to sign up to Cycle Blaze, but it's free and easy to do, just check out the link at the top of the website home page.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonHooray! I’ve been hoping we’d see you on the road over here again. Looks like a fantastic itinerary.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott,
It is a great itinerary, as you will know ‘cause most of it’s yours! Thanks again for laying the groundwork and giving us the inspiration to do this. Hope the rest of your Italian trip goes well.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonLooks like a great tour! I'll be following closely. Our paths may cross, perhaps not simultaneously but by the looks of your itinerary we will be in the same regions in France. Bon voyage!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Suzanne GibsonHi Suzanne,
After chatting with Susan yesterday, it looks like we may be able to meet up when you are in Sault. That would be great if we can pull that off.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kirsten KaarsooExcellent! I would love that!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago