Day 28 - Figeac to Saint Cirq Lapopie - Gorging in France ...Then Basquing in the Pyrenees - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2023

Day 28 - Figeac to Saint Cirq Lapopie

Fumazing!

Today’s ride has been well documented by other CB’ers over the last few years, and every recounting of it has remarked about how exceptional it was.

Our original plan for getting to Saint Cirq Lapopie had us climbing out of the Celé valley back to Capdenac, and then down the Lot to Saint Cirq Lapopie. After our stay in Lapopie, we were then going to cycle ‘up’ the Celé and then cut off to Rocamadour.

Re-reading the accounts of riding ‘down’ the Celé from Team Anderson and Susan Carpenter, and having some down time in Figeac to think clearly, resulted in a new plan.

This new plan is working to perfection so far after its initial day of execution. Today was one of those classic days of touring that holiday brochures are made from. The weather was perfect - a few clouds with light drifting morning fog and  mist with temperatures in the mid teens. As the sun rose, the fog and mist retreated and the temperatures rose to perfect for cycling high teens. As the weather gradually changed, so did the landscape. The broad valley with lush green pastures interspersed with wood lots started to narrow into steep walled valleys and cliff bands carved out by the Celé river. 

To add to the enjoyment, we were riding through a series of beautiful villages built up to, and at times, into the cliffs. Corn, Brengues, Saint Sulpice, Marcilhac-sur-Celé, Sauliac-sur-Celé and finally Cabrerets, each village seemly more stunning than the last. All of these villages had a ‘star’ rating displayed as you entered them. All were lovely but some seemed to rate two stars while others had a coveted four star rating. I’m sure there’s some intense local politics involved every year when the ‘star’ ratings are evaluated and awarded. From our perspective though, they were all beautiful.

And through all of this our bikes more or less seemed to self propel as there were no hills to speak of, just a few gradual rolling ups and down, with a net down all the way to Bouzies where the Celé flows into the Lot.

The icing on the ‘gateaux’ …. It was a Monday morning and the number of vehicles we saw over the ~60 km down the Celé could be counted on our fingers and toes.

It does not get much better than this … so we thought.

After a nice break and an ice cold smoothie in Bouziers, we started the moderate climb and last 5 km’s to get to Saint Cirq Lapopie. The majority of the climb was done in the first two km’s from Bouzies and then we were on the (sometimes balcony) road on the cliffs immediately above the Lot. A few more gradual km’s of uphill and Saint Cirq Lapopie came into view. This village gets the rating of ‘Most Beautiful Village In France’ (is there a government agency / department that does this stuff? Probably.) and it is well earned. Plastered on and into the cliffs rising above the Lot, this medieval village, the majority of which is largely intact and functioning, is amazing to see. On a warm sunny spring afternoon when there were relatively few people around, it was breathtaking.

We pulled into a quaint Brasserie on the edge of the village and had our ‘end of the ride’ bevy in one of the most spectacular settings ever. What a magical 60 km’s of riding!

The brasserie was about 200 m from our Chambre d’Hôte, the beautiful Maison Lapopie and we were soon checked in for a two night stay (this place was one of the few places that we pre-booked while still in Canmore. I doubt we would have got a room in the Village if we had tried something last minute).

We had enough time for a wander around, and take a few pics of, this amazingly well preserved village before ending the evening with a superb dinner at Le Cantou … 30 m down the lane from our room.

Days do not get much better than this. The only downside is that Aunt Betty is back with an even bigger photo album to recount the day!

Heart 0 Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetThat's the route we took in 2017, less the side trip to Grotte du Pech-Merle. The first 3 weeks of that tour when we travelled together and weren't carrying camping gear was the first trip I've ever pre-booked in its entirety--all because I desperately wanted to see Lascaux IV and to stay in St-Circ-Lapopie.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Lyle McLeodTo Jacquie GaudetHi Jacquie,
Your trip and write-up of the day resulted in us going to St Cirq Lapopie rather than staying in Bouzies like TA. We’re so glad we did, the place is amazing! We wanted to go to the same restaurant you did too, l’Oustral, but unfortunately it’s now closed and shuttered. We also considered the side trip to Peche Merle but decided not to. We are in Rocamadour now and will do a day trip to Gouffre de Padirac ( courtesy of your write up 🙏) and then head to Lascaux from here. Lapopie was one of a handful of places we pre-booked. It’s pretty clear that you’re not going to get something there ‘spur of the moment’. We are however still carrying our camping stuff! Only used three times so far though, more of a safety net to have.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Lyle McLeodLascaux was fabulous! Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

SOTD - Blue Rondo al al Turk by Dave Brubeck. An absolute classic that compliments this day … which will be one of our classic days of touring. Just look at Dave B’s expressions in the film … pure joy and at times, wonderment as he and his band produce this musical masterpiece. That’s what we felt throughout the day as well. Oh, and it’s about 8 minutes long …. Just perfect for Aunt Betty’s latest travelogue.

Starting the day on a cool slightly misty morning in Figeac
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hey Susan C and TA - recognize this place! We were following your GPS track so we had to make a few laps around the parking lot! LOL!
Heart 2 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonI certainly do! I was having problems with my gears and Susan spotted this great bike shop.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Rachael AndersonWe were not needing anything but figured we better take a spin around the parking lot! A great location at the start of a fantastic ride.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonThat’s really funny. Glad you had such a spectacular day.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The morning started with a broad valley with lush green pastures with sheep …
Heart 1 Comment 0
… a closer look to confirm. Nice recent haircuts too, as K passive aggressively pointed out to me
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then the cliff’s and narrow valley started
Heart 4 Comment 0
Corn, the first of many lovely villages
Heart 2 Comment 0
But they seemed to grow poppies in Corn?
Heart 3 Comment 0
This young guy had just finished receiving a tongue wash from his mom
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near Brengues I think? There were buildings and establishments all along the route, some marked but many were not.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coming into Marcilhac-Sur-Celé where we found an open boulangerie and had a nice relaxed lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Marcilhac. The ruins of a medieval Abbey that was also the entryway into the still in use village church
Heart 0 Comment 0
K’s pic of interesting interfaces and stone carvings in the Abby ruins.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The entrance to the still functioning church in the courtyard of the ruined Abbey
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ruined Abbey in Marcilhac
Heart 2 Comment 0
…. with the still functioning church
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Marcilhac
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Marcilhac
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back on the road after lunch and the valley continued to become more dramatic at every turn
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Sauliac-sur-Célé - gorgeous!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chapelle Notre Dame du Roc Troucat
Heart 1 Comment 0
… And someone’s home and yard decor in yet another building built into a cliff upstream of Cabrerets
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a hand carved wooden sign of to the left of this picture that read ‘No Photos’ … I saw it after I took this… so too bad.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just some more amazing riding as we approached Cabrerets
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was just a magical scene with the sun in the perfect place
Heart 4 Comment 0
Followed by more amazing riding.This is only a smattering of the pic’s I took.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Limited building space as you come into Cabrerets .. make the most of it!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The bridge over the Celé entering Cabrerets. When I was taking this pic, my phone rang … it was K wondering if I was ok as she had been waiting for 10 minutes at the hotel just around corner ahead. Ok… just stoping a lot for pics!
Heart 4 Comment 4
Patrick ParnoDid you both get Orange cards for your phones? or Orange eSims I guess?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonThere’s my bridge!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Lyle McLeodTo Scott AndersonYep! I was thinking about you …. Until my phone rang a few seconds later 🙄!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Lyle McLeodTo Patrick ParnoYes, Orange Europe Traveller e-sims. They have worked seamlessly. Full service, phone, texts and tons of data. They are probably twice the price of buying a sim from a kiosk but the convenience is priceless. You couldn’t pay me enough to go into a phone /sim vendor ever again. How much of my time is $40 worth to do something tedious while traveling? It’s measured in seconds!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Leaving Cabrerets
Heart 2 Comment 0
Final stretch of the Celé before it flows into the Lot
Heart 3 Comment 0
Crossing the Lot into Bouziès.
Heart 3 Comment 0
You know it’s getting warm when the little lizards are coming out for a sun!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be a Pyrenean rock lizard.

https://www.inaturalist.org/guide_taxa/45282#:~:text=The%20Pyrenean%20rock%20lizard%20(Iberolacerta,now%20considered%20a%20distinct%20species.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for the id, they are cute creatures when they are not in my house!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
After a short climb out of Bouzies we were on riding along the cliffs above the lot towards Saint Cirq Lapopie
Heart 4 Comment 0
Locks and on the left cliff - a section of the Chemin de Halage walk that’s on tomorrow’s agenda - along the Lot upstream of Bouzies
Heart 2 Comment 0
Confluence of the (clearer) Celé at the top and the (muddy) Lot on the bottom.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karin KaarsooVery cool!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karin KaarsooI like the freshly plowed field too. A quick glance one almost thinks three rivers!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
And our first sight of Saint Cirq Lapopie
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our ‘post ride bevy’ view …. Stunning. One of the best ever. Our Chambre d’Hôte is the first building on the left on the cobblestone road going down the hill
Heart 4 Comment 0
Beautiful and very comfortable room at Maison Lapopie
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fantastic place!
Heart 6 Comment 0
What follows are a smattering of pics as we wandered around this amazingly beautiful and preserved medieval village. Hopefully they give you a flavour of how magical this place is …. And uncrowded on a Monday in May!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A zoomed in shot of the terrace on the edge of town where we had our post ride bevy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking east up the Lot valley
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Christmas gift ideas!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karin KaarsooDid you buy some snail slime soap??
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karin KaarsooI didn’t as I didn’t see the sign until Lyle showed me the photo. But I guess I will find out come Christmas!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
The day was capped by a wonderful dinner at Le Cantou. Our revised plan has resulted in Cahors (about 20 km downstream on the Lot) being scrapped …. So instead we had this lovely bottle of AOC Cahors as a substitute … and it went amazingly well with the rest of the regional fare we had
Heart 2 Comment 0
K’s burrata with a ‘red pesto’ - roasted peppers and hazelnuts we think, with sun dried tomatoes and greens - marvy!
Heart 3 Comment 0
My duck ‘tataki’ with radish, daikon and mango ( chunks and purée with a bit of chilli) - as good as it looks
Heart 1 Comment 0
My Moroccan influenced lamb with couscous and roasted pomegranate glazed carrots
Heart 1 Comment 0
K’s veal with red cabbage and roasted onions with a beer butter glaze
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pears poached in hibiscus syrup with a white chocolate mousse. What a way to end the day!! A double gorge, on the bikes and at the table!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karin KaarsooNot so sure about the white chocolate.....
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
That’s Le Cantou - pic taken to the steps leading into our Chambre d’Hôte
Heart 3 Comment 0
One last cup of tea before heading off to bed!
Heart 2 Comment 0
And that’s it. Another stunning day in an amazing part of France!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,238 km (769 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan CarpenterGreat post and pics! It brought back lots of wonderful memories of our ride last fall. Love that you included a spin of the bike shop parking lot!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago