Forcalquier: Another lazy day - Geneva South through the Western Alps - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2017

Forcalquier: Another lazy day

It started raining hard yesterday late afternoon so we ate at the campground restaurant. It was busy since nobody else wanted to go anywhere either!

We decided to take a day off here since it's the nicest campsite we've stayed in yet (shady, quiet, pool) and it rained much of the night so the tent is wet as is the laundry we'd done when we arrived. Also, we were given a "guide touristique" when we checked in and noticed the following: "Tous les lundis matin à Forqualuier, le plus grand marché de la région étale ses couleurs et ses senteurs à travers la ville." OK!

We headed into town just before 8 and found the vendors setting up. Pastries and café au lait and then a walk up to the citadelle before it got too hot. When we came down the market was busy and only got more so as we browsed. We bought some bread and cheese for lunch (first time on this trip!), some lavender of course, and each a white cotton shirt.

Is she really going to sell all that garlic?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This stuff was selling almost as fast as she could unload it. I need to find out what it is and what it's used for; it smelled divine!On reviewing and editing my journal at home, I see that my dessert in Le Bourget du Lac included "glace verveine". I don't remember the specifics, only that it was very good!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One vendor's selection of olives
Heart 0 Comment 0
A model of the town outside the Office du Tourisme. It even had symbols like "you are here" and a legend!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking up to the citadelle through the old streets...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...then you arrive and find this. It wasn't open. Each of the angels on the 8 corners is playing a different instrument.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one has a bagpipe
Heart 0 Comment 0
And this one has a lyre
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other side of this structure says something about a carillon but it appears most of the bells are missing
Heart 0 Comment 0
And walking back down again. I liked the lavender-coloured shutters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw a few of these embedded in the streets. Al didn't think they were survey monuments (no numbering or other identification), so maybe just decorative?
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was pretty quiet here when I took this photo. Later, one could hardly walk through here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed this stall again later when the vendors were packing up. I don't think I'd buy a bra at a street market, never mind some of these colours! Am I just old and stodgy?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We ate our lunch sitting on a rock wall across from this beautiful doorway. The house was narrow and 5 stories tall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Banon cheese
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a chèvre, wrapped in leaves and tied with twine, and very yummy. I suspect the packaging contributes significantly to the price of 3€80.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cheese was bigger. No idea what it's called but it came bare and was also delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down from our wall, we saw this truck carrying short logs. Yes, a pink logging truck. Not what you would see in BC!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Another lazy afternoon by the pool, followed by dinner in town. I finally had pastis as an apéritif and enjoyed it immensely.

We liked this sculpture made from what appeared to be tractor parts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely dinner in a nice cool cellar!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure if I earned this dessert today...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0