LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA: Where Blue Water Cuts Through Barren Desert Hills - High Stakes Bike Touring - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2018

LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA: Where Blue Water Cuts Through Barren Desert Hills

When I woke up at 2:00 a.m. I felt like hell.  I ate four Fig Newtons and went back to sleep.  At 5:00 a.m. I woke up again, turned on the TV and saw this:

Heart 0 Comment 0

Huh?  Thirty to forty mile-per-hour winds with gusts up to 65 m.p.h.?  Blowing sand?  Me in a weakened state of sickness?  "No thanks," I thought, "I'm not going to ride in that.  I may be a tough guy, but I'm not an insane tough guy."

On the other hand, I remembered that I was in Searchlight, Nevada--a town that consists of this motel, a beef jerky shop, two gas stations, and a small casino.  And I don't gamble.  What would I do here for a full day?

Well, as I've said, I DO bet on sure things and there can be no safer bet than a quick, 14-mile, all downhill cycle ride down to the Colorado River/Lake Mead.  A sure bet is braving a crosswind versus a headwind.  A sure bet is that it will be significantly warmer at 600' of elevation than it is up here at 3,600 ft.

So a half-hour before check-out time I decided to start packing up my stuff, despite the fact that I still wasn't feeling all that great.  And that, my friends, is what high stakes bike touring is all about.

Fueled by coffee, ibuprofen, Fig Newtons, and a big dose of anticipation, I headed down the Cottonwood Cove Road which leads absolutely nowhere except to the Cottonwood Cove area of Lake Mead.  It's basically a 14-mile dead end.

The Cottonwood Cove Road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now that my cold is moving from my chest to my sinuses, I covered my nose with a bandana. It was an ingenious move on my part. Plus, it gave me that cool "outlaw" look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My first glimpse of the blue waters of the Colorado River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride was ridiculously easy, almost to the point of embarrassment.  Quite literally, I really wouldn't have had to pedal even once from the outskirts of Searchlight all the way to Cottonwood Cove.  I didn't have to brake either because there were no tricky switchbacks to deal with.  Even the speed-moderating effects of the crosswind couldn't stop my momentum.

Best of all, with every mile of descent I could feel the concurrent warming of the air.  In about 45 minutes I went from 43-degrees to 65-degrees.  After setting up my tent, the temperature got up to 74-degrees.  I WIN AGAIN!

Unfortunately, I have to climb back up this road again tomorrow.  Oh well, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Finally, some warm weather.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down by the marina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great place to spend the afternoon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A big contrail and a little contrail in a clear sky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike camping, Mojave Desert-style.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At night the stars were magnificent.  So was the moonrise.  So was the weather.

Today's ride: 16 miles (26 km)
Total: 122 miles (196 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0