Day 54: Srae Ambel - Trapeang Rung - Frankie goes to.....Indochina - CycleBlaze

February 27, 2018

Day 54: Srae Ambel - Trapeang Rung

Routing: #48

I always knew the two days ahead were going to be difficult. Temperatures in the high 30s C, no shade, very few options to buy refreshments and the first of a series of hills waiting after 45 km. BUT!!! Native bush/forest once the climbing starts, a wide road in very good condition and - most importantly - hardly any traffic. And all those essential factors do count for the whole of the #48 up to Koh Kong. So, yes, challenging while clicked into the pedals but Milan and I could ride next to each other almost the entire day and chat. I haven´t had that for ages. Obviously with Jan in Siem Reap but this was more sightseeing and not distance cycling. I still can´t believe my luck having met Milan last night! Firstly the "Where". Srae Ambel is certainly away from the beaten tourist track and the guesthouse itself is not the obvious solution when you come into town. There is another larger one opposite the market which I would have very likely chosen if I hadn`t known the 168 GH from before. Secondly the "When". He rolls in on my birthday which I would have otherwise spent by myself. And thirdly: If there is one road in Cambodia where you can actually enjoy somebody´s company because you don´t have to ride behind each other due to poor infrastructure or heavy traffic it is this#48 up to Koh Kong. The only downside from my point of view: Once again very few photo options as there is really nothing else but bush and road. So it´s Milan you have to cope with but as he is an always cheerful person I am sure you won´t mind looking at him. Plus he will be referred to as AC Milan from now on....

Coming into Trapeang Rung we knew there would be several homestay places as they seem to have built up some sort of network in this particular area. Luck had it that the first shop we stopped at for a cold drink had two rooms in a separate building so that was another bonus. 5 US$ each by the way, shared bathroom. Thoroughly enjoyed today but both knackered from the demanding terrain and heat out there!

AC Milan almost hitting the family jewels of this extremely relaxed boar
Heart 5 Comment 0
Yes, we are still in Cambodia
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Angkor people do not only produce a decent brew but multifunctional cans too. That´s the boot we repaired yesterday after almost 4 hours of heavy duty
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Botum Sakor
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our residence. The two rooms on the left, the shared bathroom in the back - ideal for two single cyclists
Heart 4 Comment 0
Srae Ambel - Trapeang Rung
Heart 1 Comment 0
Srae Ambel - Trapeang Rung
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 4,255 km (2,642 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0