Bonnieux - Roussillon - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2023

Bonnieux - Roussillon

A short day today so that we have time to investigate the fantastic ochre mines and savor the colors of Roussillon. Although short, today's ride is even more impressive than the previous two days, which were already some of the best riding one could imagine.

When we leave, I am relieved to see we don't have to go down the treacherous little streets we came up on last night. It's smooth sailing on a road that descends at a more acceptable gradient.

The stony streets of Bonnieux
Heart 5 Comment 0

We are on our way, to either side of the road are  iconic cypresses, red poppies and the perfume of gorse is in the air.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Gorse or broom I believe. I have been calling it Scotch broom wich probably isn't accurate.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bob KoreisLooks like broom. Gorse has sharp spines. Scotch Broom is just one of many common names. At least there it's a native plant. My sinuses don't care if it's native or not..
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Suzanne GibsonThanks! So I guess I can just continue calling it Scotch broom
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Always accompanied by Mont Ventoux. There is a message there.
Heart 6 Comment 0

When we stop in Apt for lunch fixings we find a bakery with baguette sandwiches and which also has a little tearoom where you can take your food and sit. A helpful French cyclist, also having lunch there, comes in and tells Susan that he has locked her bicycle to his. Just being friendly and helpful. He didn't seem interested in locking his bike to ours.

We have a bit of a rail trail leaving Apt, not too interesting but it keeps us off the road. And then comes some more great countryside and views of great patches of bright red and yellow in between fields of green. 

On the rail trail
Heart 4 Comment 0
Susan in her element
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauGreat color in the foreground. Great mountains in the background.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltWow, cool photo! :)
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today the wind is minimal. thank goodness. Almost in Roussillon we stop at an ochre quarry, Vargas, for some pictures. Last climb is up to Roussillon. We lose Susan for a moment as we charge through a red light on a steep incline, not inclined to stop. But we are all eqipped to find our way, and we meet about five minuutes later in front of the hotel, Maison des Ocres. Janos and I have a very pleasant room, quiet, and again on the ground floor while Susan is again two flights up. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

Les Ocres de Vargas
Heart 8 Comment 3
Scott AndersonWe haven’t seen this one. It definitely looks worth a visit.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Gregory GarceauThe orangeness of those cliffs is fantastic. (Or should I spell it like you did a couple paragraphs below--phantastic?) What's inside those openings? Gold? Mummies? Bats? Vampires?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauI couldn't decide whether it was phantastic photos or fantastic fotos. Still didn't get it quight rite.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stopped for a bicycle portrait, next to our hotel
Heart 9 Comment 0

It's hot today, I'm feeling in need of rest, Janos is too, so we miss Roussilon's highlight and don't explore the ochre quarry here. Susan is off for the long walk in the park and around town and we appreciate her phantastic photos in lieu of seeing the sights in person. I do take a few snaps on the way to dinner, though.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
On our way to dinner
Heart 6 Comment 0

Dinner is at Restaurant David, one of the best so far. First of all the panorama is fantastic,  we have  views from our table of the red cliffs, the valley and Luberon mountain ridge. The meal is excellent and on par with the view. Janos has fish, I have lamb, and Susan has porc. Dessert is equally magnificent, a lemon creation for me, chocolate bliss for Janos and a rhubarb and strawberry concoction for Susan.

A day of superlatives.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 112 km (70 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauI wasn't expecting to see any of your reports until the end of your tour, so imagine my surprise in finding this today. I'm all caught up now, but I am looking forward to YOUR version of the Mont Ventoux climb. I saw Susan's story already. And I also saw Janos' Facebook account of his fiasco while riding on his own. Sounds like you and Susan had it easy compared to what he went through.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauVery true! Janos did more km's and climbed more meters - and he didn't even get to buy a cool Mount Ventoux jersey at the top.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago