Trigance to Castellane: Routes des Cretes - France - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2018

Trigance to Castellane: Routes des Cretes

Today was another spectacular ride day even if my legs were absolutely toast. We rode the Route de Crêtes which is along the Grand Canyon of the Verdon Gorge. This route is much higher than the route we took last time and on the opposite side of the river. While the loop itself was only 20km there was a brutal section of 6km that averaged 10%. There were many actions of 13-14% that I was simply not able to ride on my weary legs so I walked. I probably walked a maximum of 1 km out of the 7km. I don’t regret doing the ride because it was drop dead gorgeous. The whole ride today was 69km with 4000’ of climbing. The photos don’t really do justice to the beauty but they are the best I have.

The view of the valley early this AM, lots of fog.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top of the castle this morning before breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just before we headed out the fog lifted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way down from the castle this morning at the start of our ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I rode with Norm and Judy from Colorado despite the fact they are much faster than me especially on the hills. However they very kindly waited at the top and gave a pull at the end of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last view of the Châteaux of Trigance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the loop ride. Crêtes means crests in English.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gorge early in the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We actually rode up against the one way traffic because it was much safer to go this way on a bike. You did not want to be afraid of heights on this route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look carefully and you see the étage of the rod circling the top. This is about 75% of the way up
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road on the other side of the gorge is the one we rode last time. I thought it was hard but was nothing compared to this route. We were also well above this road on our side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tunnel is on the other side of the gorge. We rode through it the last time I was here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally at the top after an average 10% climb now we have the same to descend with switchbacks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gorge as we descended.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a group of rock climbers using this rock wall for practice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We watched several vultures circle on the up drafts. There is one in the centre of this photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 4th member of our group was Cheri from California, she is also an amazing cyclist and out of my league.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Castellane with the famous shrine on the top of the rock wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local church and the chapel in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A game of boules among the locals in the town square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the chapel an an old bridge crossing the Verdon River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main street with bars and restaurants. There is a small shopping area on the street behind this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last group meeting around on the terrace in Castellane.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,704 km (1,058 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0