Digne-les-Bains to Trigance: Lavender and the Gorge de Verdon - France - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2018

Digne-les-Bains to Trigance: Lavender and the Gorge de Verdon

On the road again for the last 3 days of riding. Today we road to Trigance via Moustier Ste Marie. I was another fairly long day with climbing, 93 km and 5000’. My legs had mostly recovered at least aerobically but I had absolutely no “jump” in them so each climb was a slow grind. Nonetheless the ride wa again beautiful. We came across the first real lavender fields and had a brief stop in the mountain side town of Moustier Ste Marie after which there was a 16km climb the first third of which averaged 4-5% and the last two thirds averaged 6-7%. Luckily there was a nice downhill through the gorge after the climb, We spent a good bit of time in the Gorge de Verdon today but will have even more tomorrow. We are staying in the Châteaux de Trigance tonight which is a real refurbished castle perched up a 1.5km climb that averaged 7%. Just what I needed at the end of the day. However I lucked out with a fantastic room with a great view of the valley and a lovely cross breeze. We had a massive thunderstorm before dinner and I managed to capture a lightning bolt.

Lavender growing on the hillside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding by a lavender crop
Heart 0 Comment 0
A seriously well maintained crop of lavender
Heart 0 Comment 0
Moustier Ste Marie
Heart 0 Comment 0
My new favourite drink during a ride. Orangina which is a minimally sweet mixture of organge, lemon and grapefruit juice cut with some sparkling water. Very refreshing on a hot ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Lake St Croix as we approached the gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gorge de Verdon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Col for today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My chicken salad at lunch, delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More in the gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My cycle buddies coming around a bend in the river just before we turned towards Trigance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Château de Trigance and yes we had to ride our bikes up there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer view of the Châteaux that dates back to the IXth century with monks as an abbey. It really came into its own as a manor in the XIVth century under the Seigniory of Trigance. It ultimately was ruined but resurrected starting in 1961, culiminating in its current state as a hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mr Darcy checking out my bed. Now I REALLY feel like a princess.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the village of Trigance from the Châteaux above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The upper deck, my room is off to the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Of course there is a suit of armour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wall hanging of the châteaux.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our dinner laocation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The valley below as I went off to bed and after the storm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lightning bolt over the mountains in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying an apple turnover in Moustier Ste Marie.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 1,635 km (1,015 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0