Conclusion & Resources - Flying the Folders - CycleBlaze

Conclusion & Resources

Our conclusion is that our two Bike Fridays combined with hard cases are very compatible with the type of air travel and the type of cycle touring we have in mind.

We were very pleased at the ease of packing, unpacking, assembly, disassembly and luggage handling at every stage of the journey.

Back to the pre-trip questions we had in mind and were listed on page 1 of this article:

- How easy would the bikes be to pack and unpack?

Reasonably easy. Having experience in bike maintenance and general bike mechanics helped. Our bikes are not the instant fold commuter type models. They are substantial touring bikes which are comparatively easy to pull apart and pack. Even with just two practice runs, the time to pack decreased greatly.

And how long would it take?

About 90 mins for our two bikes for the first time pack.

About 60 minutes for the second time pack. It will become faster with practice.

- Would luggage weight be a cost problem with the airline (Qantas)?

No. Not this time. But note we were not carrying camping gear. We were within our luggage allowance without any difficulty or extra effort.

- Could the Bike Fridays be combined easily with taxi and/or small hire car?

Yes. They easily fitted into a Nissan Micra hire car with its rear seats down. We used two taxi rides. Both were in van type taxis with ample space. I doubt the that our 4 pieces of luggage would have fitted into a medium size sedan type taxi, especially if its boot (trunk) was part occupied by a fuel-gas cylinder conversion.

- How compatible are the Bike Fridays with inner city hotel accommodation?

Very compatible.

RESOURCES:

Bike Friday

http://www.bikefriday.com/

QANTAS Airline

http://www.gantas.com.au/

Brisbane Cycleway Maps

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/sports-a nd-leisure/cycling/bikeway-and-shared-pathway-maps/inde x.htm

I'd be pleased to answer any questions you have about our experience with Bike Friday folders, or any other questions about this particular tour. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierThis is a great resource for those considering a Bike Friday purchase. Thanks for posting it!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Graham SmithThanks Rich. You are welcome. The sequence of packing a BF into a suitcase is probably the most useful info. It’s something I needed to record for myself so others may also find it helpful.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago