Day 41: Fort Lauderdale: Getting ready to fly - Grampies Go to Florida Spring 2015 - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2015

Day 41: Fort Lauderdale: Getting ready to fly

Dodie has had a constant struggle trying to keep me out from underfoot, and ignoring my cries of "But I can do it!". Here you see a nest she made for me. It even features her sleeping bag, which I especially like, just because it's hers.

In the nest
Heart 0 Comment 0

As every cyclist knows, the gear that looks so compact on a bike can completely and instantly fill a motel room. Here it covers a king sized bed. It all has to fit in those few bags on the floor.

All this stuff needs to be ready to fly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
... by fitting into these few bags!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dodie is feeling a little better, though she still feels she needs more back xray and evaluation. We think swelling is going down in my ankles, though Harold and Francine will bring some compression socks today. Also I tried out on Dodie the idea that the fancy brace is going to freeze the shoulder. If the shoulder is back in its socket, then it should be allowed to rotate in there! Dodie still seems to be relying on the orthopedic surgeon, who said 4 to 6 weeks in the contraption. It's ok if I am dreaming. Hope is so important.

Done! Some things of note in this photo: Ramona the Brave for inspiration. Sticker from Friesland to remember we will be back. And sticker from the Cour d'Alene where we went with Avi, Violet, and Laurie.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got a big boost this afternoon from hearing the voices of our Montreal family on the phone. Joshua also gave a good written account of Amelia and Evelyn on the cycle safety subject. We are happy to share it:

" Amelia and Evelyn continue to be worried for you. Every day at least once, Evelyn walks up to us, looks very serious, and says, "gampa Steve hit by truck," then she nods her head sagely. Amelia brings this up many times, also very serious and quite worried, and sometimes adds (as she did when talking on the phone to you) "maybe he was not looking where he was going." We've tried to explain the complex situation to her but she just holds up a finger and adds, "don't worry, I'm careful on the road. Will they be ok?" We give her a resounding yes!"

We got a final chance to see Harold and Francine this afternoon as well. Since we are basically stranded at this freeway surrounded motel, they brought us some critical supplies, such as two "Long John" donuts from Publix. See you guys in Montreal, real soon now!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0