"Business" Cards - Grampies Go to Florida Spring 2015 - CycleBlaze

January 8, 2015

"Business" Cards

Our first big tour, Victoria to Quebec City, followed the "Northern Tier" to some extent. Along the way we encountered several cyclists, and it is always fun comparing notes with fellow tourists. One person that we specially remember, though, had the added feature of a "business card" that gave his name and had the catch phrase "Northern Tier Cyclist". This was interesting, because it seemed to give the fellow an occupation. We kind of wondered if it meant he routinely passed back and forth across the continent. Anyway it did have the effect that four years on we still remember, if not the man then at least the card.

The main use of having something to hand out while on tour is to help people find the blog. From there, they will be able to remember us, and make contact if they want to. The hand out is also a good way to bring closure on a session of "usual questions", since all the answers are in the blog.

And why do we want people to find the blog? To boost the hit count, of course. And why do we want to boost the hit count? Just because, that's why! (We've been over this before).

One question about the card and boosting hit counts is whether the card should lead people to the list of all blogs we have written, or only to the current blog. While we are on the road, we only watch the hit count of the current blog. That's because we need encouragement to get to the end of the current road. Historical roads are ...history. On the other hand, completed blogs can have their hit counts grow by as much as 50% after they have been out collecting hits for a few years. That's encouraging too. But for now, our "card" only leads people easily to the current blog.

A real "card" would be impressive and harder to lose, and in fact our first one was full sized and on card stock. But of late we are getting cheaper or maybe weaker, so we just have a 1" by 2 1/2" slip of paper. There will always be one or two Bike Fridays on there, and starting with Hawaii, a descriptive graphic. Hawaii had a volcano. Florida? - here it is!

We will have to cycle faster to keep the 'gator from getting more of the second bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

p.s. Work is carrying on to get ready to go. Here you see a rather stunned Dodie going through the many toiletries and pharmaceuticals we seem to have accumulated.

Heart 0 Comment 0
...and these guys couldn't care less.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0