Shakedown Tour to Scheyern: a monastery and a beer - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

March 29, 2017

Shakedown Tour to Scheyern: a monastery and a beer

It was time to start getting in shape so we took advantage of some pleasant early spring weather for a short, two-day tour. Under a bright blue sky we headed for Scheyern, location of a monastery and beer brewery established in 1119, as well as a place to sleep, all located in pretty Bavarian countryside.

Setting out
Heart 0 Comment 0

All went well although we had some challenging hills as we got closer to Scheyern, and we definitely were a little saddle sore after not having ridden a tour of any length for quite a while!

What a beautiful day for a tour - we're not far from Munich and it's still flat
Heart 0 Comment 0

The monastery beer was a welcome reward for our efforts.

The brewery here began with the founding of the abbey and claims to be the third-oldest brewery in Germany. They brew a Helles (lager), Dunkles (dark beer), Weißbier (wheat beer), Doppelbock (double bock), Pils (pilsner), and a "Hopfazupfabier".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scheyern Abbey
Heart 1 Comment 0

For the return ride we chose a different route, which again treated us to a pretty and hilly bit of Bavaria. We marveled at - and were also thankful for - the number of excellent dedicated bike paths we encountered which took us off roads with no shoulder and more traffic than we like.

Poles for growing hops, one of the main ingredients for beer - and beer and the church are essential ingredients of Bavaria
Heart 0 Comment 0

How good it was to be on the road again, to sit down on a park bench for a simple roadside picnic, to discover little towns we didn't know existed, to curse the climbs and gloat upon reaching the top with the best views, to be outdoors all day long and to experience the feeling of accomplishment upon reaching our destination at the end of the day. We are looking forward to more, and since we have plenty of time until our departure in mid-May, we hope to get in a few more longer rides.

Today's ride: 104 km (65 miles)
Total: 104 km (65 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0