Sra Em to Anlong Veng - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2016

Sra Em to Anlong Veng

On the road at about a quarter past five and in Anlong Veng by ten thirty. The early start was to miss the heat, which never materialised, the day starting off with a light drizzle and remaining cloudy until we reached Anlong Veng. The route was a flat as could be with a very good surface. The traffic was light and mostly careful and courteous. The people on the roadside were very friendly. The couple of stops for food and drinks met or exceeded expectations. All in all, a ride that was as stress free as one could wish for which meant it was actually quite boring. On a number of occasions I found my mind wandering which caused me to almost drift off the side of the shoulder.

We weren’t sure if we would find any decent food for breakfast, so after twenty kilometers we stopped for some water and biscuits we were carrying. About seven or eight kays later we passed through a small village that had a standard looking eatery. A quick look revealed a choice of rice with chicken or pork. We went with the pork which had a lovely glaze – definitely a nice surprise. Just before Trapeang Prasat we stopped for a cooldrink at a really neat looking restaurant that was modern and clean – quite unexpected.

Anlong Veng seems a step above Sra Em but the guest house we are staying at, the Monorom, is looking slightly tired. Interestingly, the foyer is full of paintings with an Angkorian theme, one of which depicts Springboks grazing near a Bayon style head carving.

Springboks in an Angkorian scene ????
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 4,428 km (2,750 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0