Anlong Veng to Samraong - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2016

Anlong Veng to Samraong

We left Anlong Veng at about a quarter past five this morning, going past the lake that Brother Number Five built, and reaching Samroang around ten thirty. Once again the weather was very kind to us with cloud cover for most of the way. We had a headwind over the last thirty kilometers, just enough to remind us that we can expect to cycle into the wind until we get back to Bangkok due the the prevailing winds at this time of year.

As with yesterday, the route was flat with a good surface and the countryside rather uniform and bordering on being boring. We did have a few sections of good lowland Dipterocarpus forest that had some good birdlife but both us were rather tired and just wanted to pedal on to Samraong (we have done just short of 500 kilometers during the past week).

This is the lake that Ta Mok built.Ta Mok a.k.a. Brother Number Five a.k.a. The Butcher. Anlong Veng was the last stronghold of the Khmer Rouge. It is where Pol Pot was cremated and where he and Ta Mok lived for many years.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There seems to be no shortage of accommodation options in Samraong. We ended up at the Chouen Prak Kap Hotel, larger than most but otherwise pretty typical for a Cambodian budget hotel. A room with aircon cost us $15

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 4,502 km (2,796 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0