Petchaburi - plans redrawn slightly - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

March 11, 2016

Petchaburi - plans redrawn slightly

Up early and set off for Pak Thale to do some birdwatching. Pak Thale hosts thousands of waders of various species that over-winter here from (mostly) northern Asia. One of these species is the Spoon-billed Sandpiper from Siberia, of which only 200 pairs remain in the wild.

Leaving JJ House just before sunrise.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unfortunately, within a kilometer or two, Leigh's bike's back tyre was up to its old tricks and, with all the slime spewing from the two puncture holes I could find, I couldn't get a patch to stick. So we limped back to JJ House to regroup.

After a shower (we got as hot as hell trying to sort out the tyre) we had breakfast at the guesthouse and then bought a new cheap Chinese tyre and 4 cheap Chinese tubes (brand name "Camel") and we seem to be sorted out.

Bike repeair in the street - SE Asian style.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After using UST tyres for the past couple of years, we have forgotten what it is like to worry about punctures. So long as I top up the slime in the tyres every 3-6 months they simply seal any punctures we get mostly without us even being aware of the puncture at the time.

Spent the rest of the morning birdwatching along the Petchaburi River in the town itself. Nothing exciting with mostly common south east Asian birds we have seen before but we still managed to pick up 3 lifers.

We are going to try to get down to Pak Thale tomorrow.

Javan Pond Heron - a common SE Asian waterbird.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 95 km (59 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0