Petchaburi - a daytrip down to the beach at Chao Samran - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

March 10, 2016

Petchaburi - a daytrip down to the beach at Chao Samran

Despite the dreadful hole in which we spent last night, I slept until 8am this morning. Jet-lag can't be fully avoided - the equivalent time in South Africa was 3am so I was still an hour or two shy of a good night's sleep.

We decided to checkout as soon as we could and then meandered down the road to find a bunch of bananas for breakfast. We checked at JJ House next door and were told that we could unfortunately get only two nights accomodation but we could drop our luggage off in their lobby until our room was ready. This we did and headed down the road to Chao Samran, a beach resort about 20 kays away.

The road was pretty busy, it was almost midday, into the wind and Leigh's bike's back tyre was not a happy chappy. However, it was worth it as Chao Samran is a "local" resort with only two other falang couples (briefly) on the beach.

Some local dried fish on a stick was a mite too strong for Leigh - she says it tasted like the leftovers from a fish-sauce (nam pla) factory. However, one beach vendor had some great steamed buns which made lunch really enjoyable.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride home was a lot faster but with no less pumping of the leaky tyre. Once back at JJ Home, I found a thorn imbeded in the tyre which was hopefully the source of the leak (thank goodness for the self-healing qualities of slime) because the tube seems to be holding its air now.

A relaxing beer on the balcony of JJ House, an early supper at a local plastic chair sit-down and early to bed for a pre-dawn rise to get to Pak Thale where we hope to do some birding tomorrow.

Beer Chang on the balcony outside our room at JJ House.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Last night's hell-hole and JJ House have the same price structure (350 bhat fan or 500 bhat aircon) but they are worlds apart in terms of condition and cleanliness. JJ House seems to have only four rooms, so booking ahead might be advisable.

Meals at a local plastic chair restaurant came in at 65 bhat last night and 85 bhat tonight (pad thai, thick soup, clear soup with rice etc).

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 77 km (48 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0