Today we get to visit the Kroller-Muller Museum!: Renkum Camping - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2013

Today we get to visit the Kroller-Muller Museum!: Renkum Camping

Since we had ridden to the same place yesterday, we chose to follow some different trails. This time we entered by the Western "Otterlo" entrance. We enjoyed seeing this scenic and historic town. There was a memorial to the Canadian 5th Infantry who had liberated this town and area during WWII. The Cdn.soldiers had spent the winter of 1944 through to spring 1945 battling the German occupying forces.

The Kroller-Muller Museum was a highlight of the trip for us. The collection of Van Gogh paintings is impressive...the second largest in the world...and that's just the beginning. We saw Picasso, Seurat, Renoir, Rodin, and on and on. The museum represents the collection of Helene Kroller-Muller and her husband Anton who dedicated their life to buying art with the idea of creating a museum and sharing it with the public. They purchased 11,500 works of art, accumulating one of the largest personal collections in the 20th century. The personal elements of the museum make it a special place indeed.

2013 is the 75th Anniversary of the Museum - we were able to enjoy special in depth descriptions of 75 pieces in the collection.

The Sculpture Garden stretches for acres and includes some astounding pieces. Set in its beautiful setting, with people relaxing on the grounds with these priceless works of art made it a memorable experience.

We felt quite notalgic on our ride home as we felt privileged to have had such a wonderful day in the midst of the 5000 hectare De Hoge National Park.

A good day.

It was truly exciting to enter the Van Gogh section of the museum...an impressive collection.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry has a deep love of Van Gogh and his paintings. He spent his teaching life sharing his passion for Van Gogh with his students. This painting is one he used to teach technique to his kids.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This massive and whimsical sculpture is not just to be looked at.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Picasso
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was some controversy about this water sculpture - but it has become a much loved and dramatic centrepiece to the sculpture park. It is made in two sections and the breeze creates a graceful movement changing its shape. It can resemble a swan, a mushroom,etc
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interactive and hands on sculpture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Admiring a Rodin sculpture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0