De Hoge Velouwe National Park and Kroller-Muller Museum: Staying at the Renkum Quadenrooed Nature Kamp - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2013

De Hoge Velouwe National Park and Kroller-Muller Museum: Staying at the Renkum Quadenrooed Nature Kamp

Staying at the super quiet and peaceful Renkum campsite, we awoke to the sound of birds and nothing else. Then, we heard the strangest sound - a unique whistling sound. It was the baker bringing bread by bike to the camp. Considering it is about 10 km to his shop, we were impressed.

It was hard to pull ourselves away from the camp, but we were determined to head to the National Park and the esteemed Art Museum. It is an interesting 1 hour ride on trails through protected marsh and forest to reach De Hoge. Many horses, hikers and cyclists use these trails. When we arrived we were disappointed to discover that the Museum is closed on Monday. Now we know that in Holland, all museums are closed on Monday.

So, instead we headed to a traditional pancake house and drowned our sorrows, so to speak. We shared an amazing fried banana/pineapple pancake with vanilla and banana ice cream.

We decided to explore the area and we rode to Arnhem (a historic site in WWII and the setting for the movie A Bridge too Far). We had a full day of riding and exploring. Tomorrow, we will go back to the park when the museum is open. This means that we will have to stay at the campground in Renkum for 2 more nights and that's ok!

It was on our list and we had to do it! We visited a Dutch pancake house, Pannenkoekhuis. We wisely shared this pancake of fried banana and pineapple with vanilla and banana ice cream. Very tasty and so filling.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that pancake is something else! Breakfast and dessert in one!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Jugs of dutch syrup were on every table.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We've eaten and now it's time to ride to burn it off. We think we'll ride in to Arnhem and do some sightseeing since the Kroller-Muller museum is closed today (Monday).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Visited with this shepherd and his wonderful border collie when leaving the campground. He was truly passionate about his role and told us that he had brought these sheep for several days across Holland to this area. Last year, the European sheep trials were held in this field and the shepherd with his dog had to herd 500 sheep at one time. An interesting insight into a way of life that is not so common anymore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dutch bikes are so creative - this bike has a deluxe child carriage on the front of the bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 243 km (151 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0