Staying in Sassenheim: A ride to the North Sea - beaches and dunes - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2013

Staying in Sassenheim: A ride to the North Sea - beaches and dunes

We really like this campground - 10 euros for a nice pitch for our tent, free Wifi, a bathroom to ourselves (no other campers!) and electricity available for charging our computer, camera, etc. The best thing for me though, is that for 5 euros, the woman who runs the campground will do our laundry. Yeah! After 3 months of travelling, our clothes need a proper wash. We dropped it off this morning and will get it back tonight. It doesn't get any better than that.

We headed out to explore Sassenheim and stopped for lunch at Moeder's. We had a great meal, but the best part was talking to Bert. He works/owns? the restaurant and sat down with us to chat about Amsterdam and other things. We had considered taking the train in to Amsterdam from here for a day visit and he was most helpful. Having lived in Amsterdam for several years, he was full of tips and good information. We really enjoyed talking to him about travel generally as well.

A typical Dutch lunch of croquettes - very tasty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had this yummy grilled sandwich topped with a bernaise sauce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bert was an informative and entertaining host.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

He also advised us that we would really enjoy heading up to Nordwijk and the beach area. His advice was spot on - the ride through the countryside was what we love and the beach was spectacular - especially on a sunny autumn day. The highlight for us were the dunes. We rode through the dunes on a cycle path and it was magical.

We circled home through Sassenheim - satisfied with a really wonderful day of riding and meeting new people.

Ruins of a fort on the outskirts of Sassenheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
School is finished for the day and the trail is filled with kids riding home and socializing. It struck us that in Holland, we never see parents lined up at school to drive their kids home as the kids bike home by themselves. This has a nostalgic feel for us - like our chidhoods, a more innocent time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This dog is enjoying his walk with a very small stick in his mouth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This dog is enjoying his ride on the bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another dog enjoying his walk - bikes are used for everything!
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting mermaid statue by the beach at Nordwijk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Going to the beach on a beautiful fall day.....
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another mermaid statue by the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another beautiful beach by the North Sea - the beaches stretch for miles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a charming custom in Holland to decorate your bike with flowers. Most bike shops sell strands of these flowers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Queen Wilhemenia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Late in the afternoon by the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dunes are part of a national park. There is a trail for joggers and paved trail for bikes... no cars allowed!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A spectacular ride through the Dunes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite at Hof von Eeden. We have loved staying here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Working on the journal at the end of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 2,986 km (1,854 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0