Sassenheim - Hof von Eeden Camping: Another fabulous day of riding, plus 3 ferries - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2013

Sassenheim - Hof von Eeden Camping: Another fabulous day of riding, plus 3 ferries

Each day that we are back in Holland, we are increasingly excited by the endless possibilities for cycle touring here. With the numbered route system and the abundance of unposted cycle lanes alongside roads, a cyclist can go anywhere they like and have a good cycling experience.
After a day of riding through incredible countryside and villages, we then had the fun of riding 3 different ferries to navigate an area with lakes. We found our campground, just outside of Sassenheim, on the grounds of a former family farm. The family still run this camp and it is surrounded by water. a marina and farmland. We really like it here and have decided to stay here for a few days and explore the area.

The campground, Naescas south of Ter Aar is also home to a small winery. Many people visited an open house at the winery - this couple, Jan and Marijke live nearby and stopped by to chat with us. They gave us good advice on places to see in the area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jan and Marijke from Ter Aar - we enjoyed chatting with them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the rooms at the winery at the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A happy dog out for a run.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This vintage boat has been restored and is powered by steam.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's unusual - a steam-powered boat!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the three bike ferries we used today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Typical Dutch painted detail on the shutters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such a typical scene in Holland - windmills, cattle and sheep.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bike path meanders along the countryside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our second ferry of the day - nearing sunset - and getting advice from this man who lives north of here.
Not only is it the final run of the day but it is also the final run of the season. We are lucky to have timed it to have been able to use this ferry to cross the lake - it cuts off many km. of riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crew on the ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our final ferry of the day - nearly to our campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,946 km (1,829 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0