Samso Island: 3 days to unwind and explore another island - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2013

Samso Island: 3 days to unwind and explore another island

Samso Island is renowned internationally due to the fact that it is completely self sufficient with electricity. 100% of the Island's power consumption is supplied by the 11 community owned wind turbines. Many islanders also privately own wind turbines. 70% of heat production comes from renewable resources, such as straw, solar and wood chips. As well, the large villages on Samso are connected to district heating plants which use renewable energy. In 1997, Denmark appointed Samso "Renewable Energy Island". Within 4 years, Samso was completely self sufficient It is inspirational to see a community come together in such a meaningful and timely way.
It is a luxury to take a break from daily travel and stay in one place for a few days. All of the logistics of keeping on the move every day and setting up camp can become tiresome - we were ready for a change of pace. The hostel on Samso has proven to be a good choice - our room offers a good living space with a leather couch, kitchen area, double bed (a rarity in a hostel) and a wonderful bathroom. Like all Dan Hostels, the guest kitchen and lounge make you feel at home.
The wind howled all night long. The sound of the wind was quite fierce plus we could hear the rain pounding down - a good night not to be camping.
The weather here is so changeable - rain to sun to unbelievable wind - all within a short time. We headed out to explore some of the island and get some supplies. Unexpectedly we ran into Alexandra in the main village of Tranebjerg and she invited us over for coffee. We feel very lucky to have met her - and we really appreciate the opportunity of seeing her and her family in their home Their home is a labour of love as they are doing the work themselves. It is lovely with sleek Danish design in an older home that they are renovating. A unique touch is the lighting feature on the ceiling of their kitchen. They painstakingly drew a template of the constellations relating to the 6 birthdays in the family and then made holes and wired tiny lights to correspond to the stars. The effect was quite magical.

Enjoying the sunshine on Samso.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As well as quiet roads, there is a good paved cycling route on the island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Samso is mostly agricultural land and we were able to eat really well here by buying produce at the produce stands. This farm had an impressive bounty of squash and pumpkins.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are beginning to understand a bit of Danish on signs, and we think they called this a "swan" squash.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This whimsical scarecrow was in front of a gallery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Following the cycle path to the north end of the Island. Riding the bike without panniers and trailer feels so carefree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the narrowest point on the Island, it is only 500 metres wide. Here we can see the sea on both sides.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This carved tree sculpture is in front of one of the schools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this group of 22 grade 8 students and 4 parents staying at the Hostel. They are from the Copenhagen area and are here for 4 days of riding and sightseeing. Today, they had the same idea or riding up to the north end of the Island to the village of Nordby.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A nice group of kids - in Denmark, parents (not teachers) take kids on overnight trips.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soft ice cream, Danish style. The ice cream is dipped in your choice of chocolate powder, nuts or sprinkles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The clock tower in Nordby, the main village in the north part of the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nordby is like a living museum of quaint, well preserved half timbered houses. Even the ducks get a special house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nordby, a charming village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw a poster featuring pictures of the doors of Nordby, but couldn't figure out how to get it home on the bike. So, we're taking our own pictures. The transom windows add to the charm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry in search of interesting doors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved this door and the starfish detail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Can't resist a cat windvane. Typical of the fall Danish weather that we have experienced: there is a sudden change from sunshine to a blast of cold air, wind and heavy clouds -it will rain soon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A charming home with a reed bicycle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This home had been built with curved walls to fit the street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A windswept and invigorating day riding on Samso.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, windy enough to cause whitecaps on the water...
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Admiring the view to Jutland from the beach. Despite the sun, our raincoats and rainpants were essential to cut the wind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sandy beach stretches for kilometres. We found ourselves reacting with glee to the sun, wind and beautiful setting. Dancing on the beach...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finding treasures....
Heart 0 Comment 0
An island resident grazing by the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat picture!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
This man had made a large wooden box for his dog on the front of the scooter - for now, the dog is having a run.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Samso is known for many things. It is internationally renowned for being completely self sufficient for energy. Internationally the Island has become famous for this and scientists from Japan and China have been studying Samso to see how it is possible. It is also known for its beauty and attracts many visitors in the summer. However, they are mostly known for their potatoes. We bought some from a farmer and they are very good - similar to Yukon Gold at home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tranebjerg, the main village in the centre of the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Visiting Alexandra in her home was a special thing. We really enjoyed meeting her husband and son as well. Alexandra is originally from Sweden and her husband has roots in Greenland. There are many people of Greenland descent on the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alexandra and Viva
Heart 1 Comment 0
An amazing kitchen - steam oven, tap with boiling water - but best of all is the unique ceiling they created based on their horoscopes/constellations.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pleasing combination of old and new - original beams and brick wall juxtaposed with new railings created by her husband.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Alexandra recommended this produce stand - it provided dinner for 3 days: potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, etc.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had ridden through a fierce wind and rain, which then turned into this beautiful rainbow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Horses seem to be attracted to us on our bike - we spend a lot of time talking to them and scratching their heads.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a great picture of the horses and the rainbow in the sky!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A local "5 km" dinner Samso style
Heart 1 Comment 0
How fitting for an island - a flagpole with a sailing ship on top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A solar station with some Island long horned sheep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the island's heating plants. Many of the homes have replaced their old furnaces with solar, ground source heat pumps and pellet furnaces.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An antique shop had various bikes, including this old rickshaw.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Part of our room at the Hostel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This pool is a local curiosity as its original function was for animal manure - or as the locals told us - for animal poop. The hostel buildings are renovated farm buildings and the pool continues this theme.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our room was at the end by the bike. You can see that this building was a barn at one time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 2,448 km (1,520 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0