Samso to Horsens: 2 flat tires - a stop and go kind of day - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2013

Samso to Horsens: 2 flat tires - a stop and go kind of day

Our travels on Samso Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reluctantly left what felt like our temporary island home on Samso to take the ferry to Hov and begin our journey across Jutland to take the ferry back to Holland.

Unlike BC Ferries where we walk on with our bike, at Samso, we ride on with the cars. It does make sense when you think about it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wind turbines off shore from Samso
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Samso on a sunny morning ready to explore Jutland.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day is bittersweet on so many levels - we are leaving a place that has touched us - both in its spirit and its landscape. As well, we know that when we leave Samso, we will be cycling across Jutland to take the ferry to Holland which signals the completion of our 3 month cycling exploration of Holland, Germany and Denmark.
We have both felt that Samso is an exceptional island and is a special part of our trip. The island offers stunning scenery and the cycling is easy as the island's length is only 30 km - much like our Island home of Saltspring Island in British Columbia.

Ferry food at its finest! We have been watching Danes eat these fransk hotdogs for the past month and we finally gave it a try. Despite appearances, it is surprisingly tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry cafeteria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beer on tap and duty free, always available.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Arriving in Hov, the euphoria disappeared with the realization that we had a flat tire on the trailer: the second flat on the trailer in a few days.
Flats aren't a big problem, but they do slow you down and are annoying.

Our ferry in dock at Hov.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrived at the Hov ferry terminal to calm seas and a flat tire!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These people who live in Hov, saw me looking at my map and came over to give us advice (and to check out our bike and Canadian flag).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fixing the flat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we rode through the town of Hov, this woman who lives here, pulled over to enquire if we knew a good route to follow. She took much time explaining the best areas to ride. Danish people are always quick to help, curious and very hospitable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good route so far with a nice vista back to the sea and Samso in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We probably interrupted this cat's hunting time. It didn't look too impressed to see us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route rolled through very pretty rural countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As usual in Denmark, when Barry rings our bike bell, the horses come running.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltSo cute with Barry and the horses who came up running to say hello. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The horse on the right was particularly interested in Barry's attention and affection. We are intrigued by the clipped manes on the horses here.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We headed off, hoping to reach Horsens to visit a Bike Shop that specializes in recumbent bikes. After leaving Hov, the landscape changed from flat to very hilly. It was beautiful, but unfortunately, about 20 km later, we discovered that the other tire on the trailer also had a flat. We were out of new inner tubes and were able to discover the problem and patched the hole.

Yup, another flat tire. On the up side, we are getting better at finding the puncture and patching it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our view of the scenic village from our bike repair spot along the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finally arrived in Horsens, too late to find the bike shop - the Hostel was not answering the door, so we backtracked several km. and found a campsite on the water at Husodde. We have a great view of Horsens - we'll try to find the bike shop tomorrow. Meanwhile, Barry has whipped up a great spaghetti dinner - we'll be ok.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLooks like a metal art piece portraying Jonas & the whale -
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The wonderful kitchen at the campground in Horsens.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Camping at Horsens - from the beach we watched the sunset over the city.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The camp cat was most insistent that we let him in and then he took over the space. An affectionate cat full of character.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,502 km (1,554 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0