Riding the ferry from Cuxhaven to Brunsbuttel - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2013

Riding the ferry from Cuxhaven to Brunsbuttel

Cuxhaven harbour at daybreak
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eating breakfast at our hotel- what a great view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel in Cuxhaven - our room is the top left balcony. We really enjoyed being able to watch all of the action of the harbour from our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were glad that we got here early and got our tandem and trailer loaded early. There were at least a hundred bikes on this pedestrian/cyclist ferry from Cuxhaven to Brunsbuttel.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, a lot of cyclists take that ferry!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We met this family in Bremerhaven. He had a lot to get on the ferry: Burley child's trailer, his bike with a child's seat, a Hase child's tag-along bike and his wife's bike. They had ridden far that morning and had arrived 15 minutes before departure....the last bikes onboard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful day to ride the ferry. The far end is jam packed with bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen has found a spot for us to sit down.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A comfortable ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Going through the lock at Brunsbuttel on the ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're through the lock - eager to get on our bike and start riding....should be a few days to Denmark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This dog came along for the ferry and bike ride. Going down the ramp of the boat, the dog looked a bit unsure of things.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It took a bit of time to unload all of the bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry we took from Cuxhaven to Brunsbuttel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The lads discussing recumbent issues.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hans, Widje and their boys on a cycling holiday on their way to Denmark.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Danny fixed our chain for us at a bike shop in Brunsbuttel. He spoke excellent Englsh as well as four other languages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don't know what this means. Even though we thought it meant not to proceed, we did anyway as this was at the beginning of the canal route...and it was ok.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are now on the North Ostsee Kanal cycle route. We plan to ride to Rendsburg (over half way along the canal) and then head north.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are many ferries along the canal which run constantly and they are free. You can ride on either side - people cross over for cafes or campsites...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Immense international freighters, container ships and cruise ships use this canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our route along the canal - two paved tracks which work well for our bike and trailer. Barry needs to keep the bike centred so that the trailer wheels stay on the pavement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As the Hase wheels are set a bit wider than our trailer, they were having a bit of trouble keeping both wheels on the pavement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A much needed break from the bike for the youngest boy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We admire the hard work that it takes for this family to take a bicycling trip with two small children.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,635 km (1,015 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0