Riding along two beautiful rivers in one day: A Spectacular day! - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2013

Riding along two beautiful rivers in one day: A Spectacular day!

We arose in Kassel excited to explore a new region. We began by following the Fulda River for about 25 km and then at Hann Munden the Weser River begins.
The short distance we travelled on the Fulda has made us want to see more. The Weser River continues the spectacular riding and countryside vistas.
Barry said at one point, that the Rhine is memorable for many reasons, but primarily for the man made beauty of the castles and fortresses, whereas the Fulda and Weser are notable for their natural beauty. There is ilttle commericalism along this scenic route. The historic towns and villages pop up every few km. and we find that we are completely entranced by the experience.
The cycling along this route is well signed, has a good paved surface and is typified by spectacular scenery.
We find that we can't wait to continue and see what the next day will bring.
We camped at Oberweser in a campsite on the river with free swimming at the complex next door.
A most satisfying day.
We found ourselves thinking often of our German friends, Georg- Cora and their family as we cycled today. We would never have known about these rivers without her recommendation. We are so grateful for their help.
After the Rhine River, these rivers are busy with locals, but there are no other international travellers. Our flag and our unusual bike has encouraged much interest and conversation.

Opportunities to meet and talk to interesting animals is something we never miss. This dog's name is Floppy - and he does! Floppy wanted me to pet him, but as I approached him, he flopped. Then he recovered. The dog's owner was intersting too - from London and a cycling advocate for 10 years in England - he strongly recommended that we come to England and London to cycle. We didn't have the heart to tell him that our experience last year from London south was challenging.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This picture and the previous may look strange - and that's because I don't know our new camera well enough - it was on the "painting" setting and everything has a strange, colourful glow. Anyway, this is where we stayed in Kassel - cheaper than a youth hostel and quite comfortable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We always see intersting sculptures and statues in parks in Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kassel
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pretty town along the Fulda River heading north from Kassel. It is so pretty and unspoiled along this river. We are very happy to be here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A hotel encouraging cyclists to stay with them...the sign is on the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This dog is happy to have a bike ride too!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped to take in the view from this large dam on the Fulda - but we don't understand why the speed warning includes a tank?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful, pastoral countryside along the Fulda River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This map shows the numerous cycle routes in Hessen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful countryside along the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,078 km (669 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0