Rheineck to Koblenz - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2013

Rheineck to Koblenz

The ride today was not as interesting as we spent most of the time riding around industrial areas, through tunnels and around gates. As we emerged from a pedestrian/bicycle tunnel under a freeway, a motorcyclist nearly knocked us down as he came speeding around the corner...a scary moment.
We didn't make much distance today as we were both feeling the relaxing effects of the Thermal Baths in Rheineck yesterday.
It felt good to stop in Koblenz as the heat was taking its toll. The campground has a spectacular view of the skyline of Koblenz and is set in a greenspace across the river. We were treated with a busy, interesting waterway and the illuminated fortress and historic town centre at night. The campground was a bit expensive but offered amazing facilities.
An early night in a hot tent....we're waiting for the cool breezes of the river to come our way.

Enjoyed meeting this couple, Andreas and Birthe, from Berlin who were also cycle touring and camping at Rheineck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The picture says it all- 37 degrees celsius.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Germany, the solution to all situations is ice cream - Italian ice cream!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enjoyed touring the restored castle in Rheineck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

#

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great place to have a break along the Rhine watching a paddle tour boat head up river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry is seeking out a bit of shade to try and recover from the heat of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pretty view across the Rhine River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike signage is so good here. We like the Rhine logo using the EU symbol for bike wheels.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're guessing from the language and exlamation marks, that it would be a bad thing if your dog did this here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the modern and well appointed bathroom blocks at the campground in Koblenz.
Heart 1 Comment 0
50 years old today! This Dutch family were camping next to us and we awoke at 6 am to see the husband (quietly) putting up balloons and banners to surprise her when she woke up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our view of Koblenz across the river from the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's evening, we're by the river, had been enjoying the sunset, and it is so-o-o hot. Koblenz has a pretty setting at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met this couple going into a tunnel under the highway. Moments later we were almost hit by a guy on motorcycle as we were exiting the tunnel on the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 709 km (440 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0