Out of Koblenz and beyond: Hot!Hot!Hot! - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2013

Out of Koblenz and beyond: Hot!Hot!Hot!

Koblenz - many river cruise and tour boats here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today, the heat has jumped to 40 degrees and we are reluctant to ride far today. We are planning to take a look around Koblenz before heading up the Lahn River to visit the Reitz family, whom we met earlier while camping on the Rhine.
We have been having some frustration with our Sony DSC HX50 camera. We have found that the LCD screen is unusable in most light situations and as a result the lack of an electronic viewfinder is a big problem. We had been considering buying the Sony EVR, but when we discovered that the cost of a viewfinder exceeded the cost of the camera, we were perplexed how to proceed.
We found a great camera store in Koblenz and with Michael's knowledgable help and patience, we came to understand that the Panasonic FZ200 (with a built in superior electronic viewfinder) was a far better camera. We were able to trade in the Sony and buy the Panasonic for less than the cost of a Sony EVF. Ironically, when we bought the Sony in Canada, we were torn between the Panasaonic and the Sony, but got the Sony because of its size.

Michael was a delight to deal with as he shared our interest in cycling and was passionate about photography.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are excited to start using our new camera. It has a great Leica lens with a fast F2.8 25-600mm lens all through its range. This will help with "zoom" photos at dusk and in low light situations.

How frustrating and annoying it is to have a fall when struggling up a hill. While trying to ride up a short steep section, Barry encountered gravel and a gate - a lethal combination. Over he went - scraped, bleeding and bruised, we took solace in a gasthaus by the river. They gave us ice (for his bruises), a cloth to clean his cuts and warm beer.

After the mini-crash, we went to this bar to get ice for Barry's elbow and enjoyed talking to this cycling club about their annual trip. They had just ridden a loop from Koblenz to Limburg and back. They were so hot from their ride and enjoying their beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle at Lahnstein where the Rhine meets the Lahn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is scorching hot today with absolutely no breeze off the river. We have just turned off the Rhine and will be proceeding on the Lahn River - a new adventure... we just hope that it will cool down soon. Mary Ellen is not coping too well with the heat. Since getting sick in Dormagen, she is finding it hard to bounce back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0