Krusa to Sonderborg - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2013

Krusa to Sonderborg

There is a saying in Denmark: "There is no bad weather, only the wrong clothes"
So far in Denmark, we have experienced dramatic weather - heavy winds, rain and then sunshine - often within half an hour. To say that it is changeable is an understatement. As the saying above suggests - be prepared with appropriate clothing and you'll be fine.
Armed with good maps and information from the knowledgable Tourist Office woman, we set out confident that we knew where we were going. The gravel track (#8) that we tried to cycle on yesterday is not part of the official route - rather it is part of the Genderarmerie hiking route that passes through the original border. She agreed that this part of the route was not good for loaded bikes and told us how to bypass it.
Good cycle lanes beside the road led us to the official route and we're off!
We knew that heavier winds were coming today and they were right! At times the gusts required Barry to work hard to control the bike. Then the rains came and the deluge made it impossible to ride. We sought shelter in a museum that we would have liked to have toured, but it was too late in the day. We were grateful that we could be dry for a bit before we headed on to our destination, Sonderborg.
Today we saw beautiful rolling landscapes and picturesque villages inland and along the sea. Granted the weather has taken a turn for the worse - no longer are we getting changeable weather, we now seem to be in a rainy, windy pattern. Nonetheless, we have rain gear and we will carry on,

A typical Danish house in the country - reed roof and a long Danish pennant flag on the flag pole.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our cycle path is along the road for part of the way. The drivers are very good to give us space.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rolling countryside and the sea is never far away. (We are on the Baltic Sea Cycle Route, island hopping our way to Copenhagen.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The churches here are typically white and quite different in architecture than what we saw in Germany.90% of Denmark is Protestant. This church in Rinkenaes is not so old, (built 1920's) and it is significant as it was built after Denmark's reunification. Three towers with three bells are its trademark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now that we are in Denmark, we see new types of interesting bikes - this one is made in Copenhagen.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltChristiania bikes are great! I went to check out their store.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
This church in Broager, dating from the 1200's, is distinguished by its twin spires and interesting pattern of tiles on the roof. The grounds here cover several acres with an interesting graveyard for fallen soldiers - Danish and German from the war.
This church has the largest belfry in Denmark and orginally had 5 bells - 2 had to handed over for WW1 war use.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful serene church (Broager) with interesting painted murals from several periods.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A feature in the church is this large statue of Saint George fighting the dragon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mound in the background is a memorial to the fallen citizens of the Parish from WW1.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this couple while having our lunch in the churchyard - they live near Fynshav, where we will be taking the ferry. We were planning to go to Fyn (Brojde) but they told us about the beauty of Aero (Island) and we may try to go there instead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They gave us good advice about where to ride and a mini lesson on how to pronounce Danish words
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was an incredibly rainy day with high winds and powerful gusts. We took refuge in this museum until they closed - it was too difficult to ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We arrived in Sonderburg - still raining - and were impressed by the Castle and its scenic waterfront.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the harbour at Sonderburg, we got a chance to see one of the vintage sailboats that had been at Flensburg a few days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the young trainees on the sailboat....a cold and rainy windy day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This rabbit has adopted our cabin at the campground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our cabin at the Sonderburg Campground - a comfortable and dry place for us to spend the night. Truly not the best value - extra kroner for cleaning (which he waived - the benefit of looking older and trustworthy!), extra kr. for hot water, no bedding, no toilet - yet we were grateful for a roof that didn't leak and warmth.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,844 km (1,145 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0