In search of Tull en t'Wall - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2013

In search of Tull en t'Wall

Beautiful route today through lush Dutch farmland and villages....so many sheep and dairy cattle. We hadn't realized that thatched roofs were so common here. Canals and water ways around houses are a very pretty feature of the area.

We continue to be astonished that every nook and cranny has a bike route which is supported by excellent signage.

Rode along the scenic Lek River - we discovered that the valley by Tull en t'Wall is known for its cherries and that they are in season. We visited a farm and ended up with a kg of cherries! We were served by a Romanian who is working for the season here and he was most excited by our knowledge of his country - he has promised to try to find us at the campground. And that has been a problem - we can't find the campground. It is such a beloved well kept secret that it seems most locals don't know where it is. But we were determined, we finally we met a young man who directed us. The camp was quite busy and we got the last site.

As Tull en t'Wall is a Nature Camp, the experience is quite unique. There are amenities, such as showers, drinking water, etc. but its beauty is that it is set in nature with peaceful surroundings. The special nature of this camp is that it is set on the location of a fortress dating back to the 1880's which was built to defend Holland from invading armies.

Tired, but a wonderful day of riding.

A working windmill - they were selling the flour they milled.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this monk outside a music store and we couldn't resist. A monk who loves his rock and roll.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cyclists welcome - Tull en t'Wall
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gates of the campground at Tull en t'Wall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A shower/washing/drinking water trailer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the bunker at the fortress. A nice surprise was the cold beer, chips,camper frig and supplies available on an honour system inside. As well, it provided a comfortable living area to get out of bad weather.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a great way to use the bunker!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A private campsite set in to the fortress.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A yummy dinner - thanks Barry.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a good-looking dinner!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Another picturesque town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry has a weakness for Labs and this Lab sure liked Barry. The dog's exhuberance nearly knocked over Barry and the bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At this point, the dog was trying to sit in his lap.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 81 km (50 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0