We are staying on the Rhine - Eck en Wiel - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2013

We are staying on the Rhine - Eck en Wiel

A busy day on the roads...as it is Saturday, there are many families cycling and pelotons of road riders.

Riding along the dyke of the Lek and Rhine River was very enjoyable. The picuturesque Wijk bij Durstede was very interesting. The tourist office was very helpful and called a campground at Eck en Wiel and secured us a spot,right on the river for only 10.50 euros. While in the tourist office, we noticed a photograph showing that the Giro d'Italia had come through this town last year. We told her about our local Canadian rider, Ryder Hesjedal, who had won the Giro d'Italia. She was most impressed (as are we) as no other Canadian has ever won a major European race before.

We took the first of the bike ferries across the river to our campsite - only 1 euro. As everything is closed Sunday in this area, we quickly rode to the store to stock up.

Another early night - watched an episode of Game of Thrones on our computer - thanks Kurt!!

The moat surrounding the fortress at Tull en t'Wall, Nature Kamping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love to see these signs welcoming cyclists "Fietsers".
ANWB make great cycling maps in Holland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is doing some last minute tweaking of the bike as we leave the campground. Tull en t'Wall has a pretty setting in the countryside and is discretely hidden unless you know about it. It wasn't easy finding this campground, but it was worth it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding on the dyke gave us a view across the area and of the bunker from WWII in the foreground. There are many bunkers and remains of fortresses in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such a typically Dutch and delightful scene on our ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stork nests are a common sight here - one that we never tire of seeing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love the sight of these Dutch roads in the country - the red bicycle lanes are so visible and drivers respect our space. Interestingly, the single auto lane is for 2 way car traffic and we never had a problem...even when meeting large farm equipment.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good place to relax and have some lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Enjoying the breezes of the Rhine River (our first glimpse of the Rhine) while we have a break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Impressive locks along the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wijk bij Durstede - a pretty historic town
Heart 0 Comment 0
As it is midday Saturday, most stores are closed - except for this bakery which we found just before they closed for the weekend.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, a bakery closed for the whole weekend?!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Too much baking to fit in our bags - so we'll tie it on my seatback. I think we have overreacted a bit, thinking that we need to stock up for a few days.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI'm sure you enjoyed having it all to eat! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Our first ferry across the Rhine - 1 euro.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry is pulled across by these cables.
Heart 1 Comment 0
From the bakery - brie and fig roll - yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are fascinated by caravans in Europe. They are generally modest in size with a giant tent room attached to the front, filled with appliances, TV's, kitchen table, etc.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's quite a set-up for a caravan!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We were the only tenters here, but made to feel very welcome.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are loving our new Hilleberg Anjan tent - it is truly our home away from home with room to spare.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met Tim and Melissa at the campground at Eck en Wiel. They are Australian, have been living in Hong Kong and are on a cycling holiday before heading back to Australia with their daughter, Bianca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now that we are on the Rhine, we are beginning to see more traffic on the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The campground is situated directly on the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a beautiful spot to enjoy the sun setting over the Rhine River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 122 km (76 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0